Hi there,

First of all i dont know if this thread is in the right place?!

I've been considering studying the juris doctor and hong kong university. I am currently a law student in Perth, Western Australia and I have a BA in political science. My major was political science and my grade average was 70% (distinction). work-wise i did an internship at the department of the attorney general and won a scholarship to intern at a free market think tank in hong kong in january. I have no chinese speaking ability and i wonder whether the hk legal market is biased against people who are not chinese speakers/chinese language fluent.

I have always wanted to live and work in asia so for this reason i am pursuing the HKU juris doctor. I intend on being a fulltime international student and staying if i've been offered a training contract. I am seeking advice from others who are studying in asia who are from english speaking countries and to what extent the language difference impacts upon your particular industry???

Also, if any HKU students could tell me of their experience at the university, particularly regarding hall residence accommodation particuarly postgrad it would be gratefully appreciated. I have decided i would like to change my life and feel that living and studying overseas would be a tremendous departure from life as i know it, with opportunities to expand my language and cultural knowledge