Like Tree1Likes

Learning Mandarin in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by diasyam:
    thanks everyone for the suggestion. I actually went to beijing and shanghai last month but to be frank I didnt feel comfortable at all staying in the cities; so I finally choose to come to HK --- given that I m interested in Cantonese and HK guys as well LOL.

Anyway, I m interested in the Chinese Uni intensive course suggested by East_coast, mind to give me more details?
    I personally dont like Beijing nor Shanghai, but there is one city in China that I love. I believe it to be the most beautiful in China : Qingdao. I would urge you to take a look at QD before you make your final decision.

Good Luck,
    HC

Quote Originally Posted by pizzalover:
    Beijing accent is not the standard mandarin though they are very close. Intonation and emphasis are different. It is very easy to spot the accent, which, to me, sounds frivalous. On the other hand, standard mandarin spoken by CCTV anouncers sound too formal and dull. A foreigner speaking Beijing dialect fascinates Chinese though.
    A non Mandarin speaking friend told me once that Beijingers sound like pirates! When you think about they do!
    East_coast likes this.

I don't know how pirates speak. I didn't know there is a pirate accent! This blog says that it is because Beijing accent is rhotic. mitcho > blog > The 北京话儿 Beijing Pirate T-shirt Does it mean Americans sound like pirates too?

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    A non Mandarin speaking friend told me once that Beijingers sound like pirates! When you think about they do!