nlsk,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt despite that last message.

I think our difference is that I draw a line between high school grad and post-secondary. I strongly believe in post-secondary education, and I believe every child should strive for it. Parents should work alongside that whole process also.

Second difference I realized is that you're demography is taking to account to B-A students only. So when you base your arguments from this point on forward, mentioning about broader things life than grades, Asian's parent's method, then it's all legitimate. They can easily get into Post Secondary anyways. Of course they should look at other aspects of life even more.

The viewpoint that I take is that Asian parents needs to give their child what they cannot attain themselves. They see how educated individuals live a much easier life than their laborious life. Thus, I take into account Asian parent's intent for their children therefore they behave the way they do. It's legitimate too from statistics. Asian parents probably wouldn't be worried about grades if their son/daughter is already getting a good enough grades to get into post secondary. But before that can happen, they have to devote a lot of time into polishing their children early in life before they become this B-A student, thus, they have to stress on grades!

If you taught in academic settings before, you'll be more concerned about the D-C students than the B-A students. The fact that you missed this demography says a lot about the difference between basketball coach and an academic teacher.

Speaking from the POV of all students rather than B-A students. Take note that students who had to struggle with marks so much so that they compromised socializing are students who are either struggling in school already and wouldn't have had a chance to get into higher education without loads of effort.

Let me ask you this question instead.

Should these students who are struggling but has a chance to get into Post secondary prioritize school over socializing or the other way around? Take note that these parents doesn't know anything about campus life or how to get their child into it.

Second question to you,

Now that they are not in post secondary, viewing this from a educator's perspective, are you willing to take responsibility of that 80% of the people who now has to find their way? Are you going to tell them socializing is important and that everyone will get a job with equal or even higher pay than the post secondary students?

Are we in a society where the uneducated wealthy man/woman get the spotlight while the educated professionals gets neglected from the picture? In fact, the rest of the population needs not to be mentioned because it's too inconvenient to take them into account. A strategy so typical of trashy authors who wants their books sold nowadays.