2 questions about TEFL course

Closed Thread

2 questions about TEFL course

1) where can I do the course in HK I could only find one place in Shueng Wan and it costs two times more than in the U.K.
    2) Is it really 100% neccassary? I should note that I don't have a bachelor degree, just a native speaker. so would I be able to teach English here?

thanks every1

Quote Originally Posted by bg23:
    1) where can I do the course in HK I could only find one place in Shueng Wan and it costs two times more than in the U.K.
    2) Is it really 100% neccassary? I should note that I don't have a bachelor degree, just a native speaker. so would I be able to teach English here?

thanks every1
    1) English for Asia offers the TrinityCertTESOL. They are located in Sheung Wan.

2) If you were an employer (school/language centre/someone in need of private tutoring), would you hire someone with no qualifications or experience?

1) There are several alternatives for studying some kind of TEFL qualification in Hong Kong, but by far the best recognised is the Trinity CertTESOL at English for Asia. This is readily accepted in a whole host of countries around the world, including by the EDB in Hong Kong. Yes, it's about twice the price of the same course in the UK. If you want the Trinity qualification and can't afford to spend a month in a cheaper country, however, then there really isn't any alternative.

2) It is not 100% necessary. Without a degree, however, and relying upon your native ability alone, the opportunities open to you in Hong Kong will be seriously limited. In fact, I might venture to suggest that your lack of degree poses an even greater barrier to your finding a teaching position than your lack of TEFL certificate. If you have the right to work in Hong Kong (i.e. don't require visa sponsorship), then job openings may present themselves. Otherwise your chances are about as good as a snowball's chance in heck.

1) Or perhaps you may want to consider the TESL Dip. Program offered by CUSCS. It is a professional diploma for teaching ESL.

2) Depending on what you want to achieve, I believe that it is necessary if you want a more formal teaching position in Hong Kong. Teaching in tutorial schools may not require such qualification.

thanks every1

thanks every1
    Of course you can and I'm sure you'll be great! I have two arms and two legs so I'm going to start teaching ballet next week.

I'm doing my TEFL online so I can do it around my day job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by tilly01tilly:
    I'm doing my TEFL online so I can do it around my day job.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    With on-line TEFL courses the key is to make sure that it's going to add value. That means researching pretty carefully what sort of places would accept it; making sure that those places align with your career aspirations; making sure you don't pay too much for the course. The idea is that they're cheap, quick and easy to get. For some employers, though, an on-line course checks a necessary box and that's all that matters.

A far wider range of opportunities would be open to you if you were to take a full Trinity or Cambridge course, however each must run his own cost/benefit analysis according to his unique needs.