Australian MBA recognized in Canada?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian MBA recognized in Canada?

Does anyone know if MBAs from Australia such as the AGSM MBA is recognized in Canada? According to FT, this program ranks above all MBA programs in Canada.

Foreign degrees are not recognised in an country. Though they are known in other countries that's about it.

In saying this, the AGSM program is the best in Australia for post graduate studies and well known, not sure outside though.

MBAs is not a protected degree anywhere in the world and as such it cannot be 'recognized'. It could be known though.

In Canada, an MBA is an MBA to employers as long it is from an accredited university.

I have an MBA and have hired in Canada other MBAs. Only in HK do I hear so much about the university the person graduated from versus the quality and abilities of the degree holder.

The MBA doesn't lead to a specific professional qualification therefore it has no need to be "recognized". A good employer will be far more concerned about the individuals accomplishments, experience then the specific place he/she studied. MBAs are a dime a dozen nowadays...

On another note, students all over the world including Canada and even more so the US are often obsessed about the university they will attend. It's hardly a HK thing...

For once I'd have to agree with Gilleshk - the who "which university did they go to" is certainly alive and well in our company! My business partners believe it's an excellent way to sort the wheat from the chaff (I'm alot less convinced of this myself!).

I guess I shouldn't use the word "recognize". My concern is whether Canadian employers know about AGSM over Rotman, Ivey or Schulich when shuffling through a pile of applications.

What do you guys think though - is MBA really worth the investment of time and money? The only reason for doing it is to move up quicker.

How is the workload for doing overseas MBAs in HK?

There are two kinds of MBA. The ones from REALLY well known places (like Harvard) and the others. Within "the others" - pretty much no differentiation. So, if you have an MBA you beat the guy who does not. If you have the Harvard MBA you beat the guy from the no-name university MBA. In my experience, this rule works world-wide.

For me an MBA is not as important as real work experience and intelligence. You can go online and get an MBA in 3-5 days!

I wouldn't suggest doing an MBA under 40, or at least 35 with at least 10-12 years of work experience and a mid to high level in a company. I would try and get into the most prestigious you can as you will probably learn more from your peers than the professors.

I personally dislike people whom do an MBA before 30 or even early 30's. I, being in class before in mid 30's doing a masters with others in their mid to late 20's really didn't have the right experience to really get any value out of what they were doing.

If you're worried about how well known your MBA is, don't worry, do what an MBA would do. Get a brilliant photoshop guy on e-lance and create an article from a fake but prestigious sounding financial magazine awarding your school a top 3 slot in their annual rankings.

(That is assuming you cannot find a university brochure which lists the accomplishments of your university to send along with whatever application package you're sending in ... CV + References etc etc..).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast