Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chingleutsch
  • 1 Post By gilleshk

About Yew Chung International School

Closed Thread

About Yew Chung International School

Hi,
    I'm an expat teacher looking for a teaching job in Hong Kong - preferably in August. I saw a job opening at Yew Cung Int'l School but I have not heard (or read) much about this school. I was wondering if someone can give me some insights into what this school is like. From the website, they seem to be a bilingual school where each class gets two teachers, an English-speaking teacher and a Chinese-speaking teacher. Their website suggests that they focus a lot on the 'whole' child and hold Christian values. Any other info? Are their salary package competitive compared to other schools? I am also used to the inquiry learning model in the classroom with continuous use of ICT all throughout the curriculum. I'd like to know if these are present at YCIS. I guess I could email the school and ask...but any outsider's opinions and info would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help!

P.S. - While I'm at it, are there many schools that use interactive whiteboards (not just a projector) in Hong Kong?

Sorry, I don't know much about YC. For whatever reason they didn't use to interact much with other international schools though I see it is slowly changing with them now participating in a limited way in the International School sports league. However, it seems to have a decent reputation and their IB students are performing quite well slightly better than ESF and CDNIS students but slightly lower than CIS.

I can tell you however that many schools have interactive whiteboards and projectors that are seamlessly integrated with a computer. ICT is a big PR gig for many of them so they like to show off all the toys. There are also many schools where all students carry their own laptop as part of the school's program. Many schools also have some kind of online course management system in part due to SARS and flu concerns in recent years so they are prepared to deliver content to students at home should it become necessary.

mochachino likes this.

Would you be applying for primary or secondary?
    All my (second hand) knowledge is from people who have taught at the primary school - Gilles' comment about "showing off all the toys" seems very appropriate. A very common comment has been that the administration puts more effort into impressing the parents than actually educating the children. Another observation is that the "christian" part is strictly nominal: it is more important not to upset non-christian parents than to teach what Jesus taught. And i'm sure it depends on individuals, but Chinese co-teachers I've heard of prefer to carry on their own sweet way rather than actually form a team with the NET. All in all, not a happy place for westerners in the primary department, but I stress that I know nix about the high school.

mochachino likes this.

Thanks so much. This is all very helpful. I did see a grumble about the school administration by one of their former employees on another site. Although you can never tell how credible these things are......

I'm looking at primary.