Furthering my studies in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ok, this is weird. My wife is on a dependend visa and her and got accepted at the HKU for her Master in Finance program. According to this one : School of Economics and Finance - The University of Hong Kong

If you look further, they do not distinct local from non-locals for this program? LoL Anyway, we got the bill

Quote Originally Posted by DaChief:
    Ok, this is weird. My wife is on a dependend visa and her and got accepted at the HKU for her Master in Finance program. According to this one : School of Economics and Finance - The University of Hong Kong

If you look further, they do not distinct local from non-locals for this program? LoL Anyway, we got the bill
    I'm not sure if there is a difference in price for local or non-locals. I can confirm, though, that a dependent visa classes you as a local student. I remember reading this in the application form notes.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Not true. The definition of local/non-local is based on whether you need to be sponsored for a Study Visa. If you are here on an Employment or Dependant Visa then you are "local" as far as the Universities are concerned. For example, from Non-Local EAS Students
    Are you sure a working visa entitles you to study? I was on a working visa for a year and got the impression I couldn't study even part time... oops!

If you have permission from ImmD then you can study part-time on an Employment Visa - they decide case by case.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I'm about to start a masters in linguistics at hku. It's 90,000hkd for the year. (full time course, but i'll still be working part time) I can confirm this price as I've paid the first installment.

Whether it's good or not is another question. All I know is it's a good uni and I got a good vibe from the professors I spoke too. I'm planning to continue and do a PhD, so here's hoping!
    In my opinion, this is something that has evolved in a very interesting way. When I did graduate studies, the onus was on the student to learn/create a path and the professors were only mostly there for guidance and to use students as cheap labor to do research. As a matter of fact, in many courses, students were in charge of delivering a significant part of the content through presentations. It's one of the things I've always kept, if you are able to deliver and explain content to an audience and field questions, it means you've definitely got a far better grasp than a test or a paper could ever show.

With so many more students now taking Master's of which many would have never qualified a couple of decades ago. It seems that more and more, it's simply an extension of a Bachelor's degree where students expect to sit back, receive knowledge, write a paper or an exam, be done with it and get the diploma...

At the graduate level, I don't believe that the onus is for professors to teach(which is why many of them have no clue about teaching and very little teacher training is required of them), it's the student's responsibility to learn.

i studied part time for 3yrs at uni here on an employment visa...i never enquired at immigration, i just enrolled an away i went...now i'm studying on a dependent visa..again, no enquiry, i just went ahead and enrolled...

to sit back, receive knowledge, write a paper or an exam, be done with it and get the diploma...

At the graduate level, I don't believe that the onus is for professors to teach(which is why many of them have no clue about teaching and very little teacher training is required of them), it's the student's responsibility to learn.

There are taught masters courses and there are research based courses. I chose a taught course because I'm specializing in a small area of what I learnt in my bachelors degree and feel I need to prepare before continuing with a doctorate, which is obviously research based.

Admittedly, by itself, this masters course isn't all that important but it's my decision to use it as a stepping stone, and it 'proves' to the university that I've reached a certain level. If I felt ready, with a prepared thesis, I could've jumped straight into a research based post grad course. I didn't feel I was ready for, or necessarily likely to be accepted on, that course.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 27-05-2011 at 06:48 PM.

I meant absolutely no disrespect towards your choices, I am simply commenting on how times have changed and universities are now handing out master's degree at a much faster rate than before to levels of students that perhaps wouldn't have made the grade in the past. It means that students are also far more passive and somewhat expect to have the content delivered to them as opposed to show initiative. My point was that for someone that is motivated and interested in his/her learning and progress, it really doesn't matter all that much whether the program or the professors are good. In my experience, university professors that are adept at delivering content are somewhat in the minority anyway, I personally made my choices on the type of research that was done and the money that was received in funds by the individuals concerned because some of it would trickle back down to me as the student/slave laborer...

I believe that establishing a good relationship with the person that is going to be your director is extremely important. Hopefully the Master's will give you an opportunity to start developing that relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I meant absolutely no disrespect towards your choices, I am simply commenting on how times have changed and universities are now handing out master's degree at a much faster rate than before to levels of students that perhaps wouldn't have made the grade in the past. It means that students are also far more passive and somewhat expect to have the content delivered to them as opposed to show initiative. My point was that for someone that is motivated and interested in his/her learning and progress, it really doesn't matter all that much whether the program or the professors are good. In my experience, university professors that are adept at delivering content are somewhat in the minority anyway, I personally made my choices on the type of research that was done and the money that was received in funds by the individuals concerned because some of it would trickle back down to me as the student/slave laborer...

I believe that establishing a good relationship with the person that is going to be your director is extremely important. Hopefully the Master's will give you an opportunity to start developing that relationship.
    To be honest I agree with you that a lot of students expect to be spoon fed. One of the reasons I did well on my degree is partly because I made sure I found papers other than those in the recommended reading and made sure I made my essays as unique as possible. A lot of students try to regurgitate their lecture notes and don't get good grades.

Ironically, it helped that I was working pretty much full time to pay my way during my undergraduate course so missed a lot of lectures. not that I'd recommend this technique!

I just heard that HKUST was #1 in Asia...