Like Tree2Likes

Cantonese weekend courses

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cantonese weekend courses

Any Cantonese courses out there on weekends? YMCA, CUHK & HKLLC seem to offer weekdays only. Group needed, no individual tutoring offers needed, thanks.

I'm searching too!

Quote Originally Posted by siumai:
    Any Cantonese courses out there on weekends? YMCA, CUHK & HKLLC seem to offer weekdays only. Group needed, no individual tutoring offers needed, thanks.

Hi Siumai,
    I'm looking too! Would like to have someone with Western references. I've emailed some private tutors that I found through Google. Not sure if any will pan out but I'll keep you updated.
    Are you Island-side or Kowloon-side? Maybe we can split a tutor?
    Paul

CLC of CUHK can provide course on Sat in Causeway Bay if there is a group of at least 7 people.

Zaeobi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CLC:
    CLC of CUHK can provide course on Sat in Causeway Bay if there is a group of at least 7 people.
    Hi, do you have details like duration, cost etc

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:
    Hi, I've found others that allow private tutors. I found them via google search.

Pacific Language Centre at www.pacificlanguage.com
    depending on how many lessons you sign up for and if you do so prior to the end of May, it costs between HK$150 and HK$278/hour.

Hong Kong Language Learning Centre at www.hkllc.com charging HK$330 per hour for 1-2 students.

I'm not sure how good these are. If anybody's tried them, would love some feedback. I have another friend that would be interested in splitting the costs with me and it's really convenient since she lives in my building.

Because of the costs, I would like to try Pacific Language and see how I like it. I'll provide feedback!

CLC Cantonese Courses

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:
    CLC provides "Elementary Cantonese" Classes every Jan, April, July and Nov at Causeway Bay Xinhua Book City. Tuition Fee:HK$5400, Application Fee HK$200. Total 60 sections (50mins/section, 3 sections/meeting). If there is a group of 7 or above, a special schedule can be tailor made. All teachers are university teachers well experienced in teaching Cantonese to non-Chinese native speakers.
    Private classes by CLC is available, but rather expensive, for HK$980/hour.
    www.cuhk.edu.hk/clc
    Last edited by CLC; 07-05-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: add details

Pacific language

Hi paul,

I have tried Pacific language before, I was also attracted by the low fee, but i was really dispointed by the service, they change me 3 times in 20hours cantonese lesson the teacher... terrible to have a following up.
    I completely advise to not join pacific language...
    Good luck anyway
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Pauloid:
    Hi, I've found others that allow private tutors. I found them via google search.

Pacific Language Centre at www.pacificlanguage.com
    depending on how many lessons you sign up for and if you do so prior to the end of May, it costs between HK$150 and HK$278/hour.

Hong Kong Language Learning Centre at www.hkllc.com charging HK$330 per hour for 1-2 students.

I'm not sure how good these are. If anybody's tried them, would love some feedback. I have another friend that would be interested in splitting the costs with me and it's really convenient since she lives in my building.

Because of the costs, I would like to try Pacific Language and see how I like it. I'll provide feedback!

Cantonese Weekend

I asked the same question a few months ago and recieved this recommendation. I have been attending a month now and the course is good! See below:
    Basic Cantonese lessons for $100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Migrants Programme
    International Social Service Hong Kong Branch
    6/F, Southorn Centre, 130 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong.
    Tel: 2836 3598 Fax: 2508 0207

A friend of mine recommended the International Social Services (sponsored by the Home Affairs Bureau) - for cheap Cantonese classes. It only costs HKD 100 total for a series of classes - not sure exactly how many - and meets every Sunday from 1pm-4pm at the Southorn Centre in Wanchai.

Here's the email from the instructor:

"For those of you that ask me for the new Basic Cantonese Class, there might be a new class on Sundays from 1:00pm to 4:00 pm. However, nothing is confirmed yet. Please find enclosed the enrolment form. If you are interested, please fill in the form and e-mail back to me. As soon as we have 15 students, we will start the class. ISS will not start the new class unless we have 15 enrolment forms on our hands."

I've attached the application form. If interested, please fill out the enrollment form and send it to the instructor: [email protected] so that we can get these classes started asap!

Also, it appears you have to be an ethnic minority (ie. non-chinese) in order to do this

Thanks John for the information. I am going to try this.

For anyone who is interested in learning Cantonese at the weekend, the following is the answer I got from William Yau recomended by John. "Yes, you can join the class. However, we have started all the new classes for this seasons. The next seasons will start sometime on
    August. I have included your e-mail on my mailing
    list, I will confirm the time schedule and e-mail you
    the list on late July with the attached form, if you
    are interested in any classes, you can enroll the
    class through e-mail. The classes are funded by Hk
    Government, it is HKD 100 for 50 hours." If you need more information, William's e-mail is [email protected].

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast