The Odds of Acceptance: Applying to City U w/ University marks from Canada?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Odds of Acceptance: Applying to City U w/ University marks from Canada?

I basically have to resort to different resources as the Admissions department in City University is really beating around the bush in telling me what will help get me in.

They basically laid out an admissions guideline for international students, but unfortunately, it only deals with straight from high school admissions. While I do have my high school diploma, it has been years since than, and I'm already in my second year of study at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

I was wondering, with a letter grade average of about a 'B', would this solidify my acceptance into City U? They seem rather adament on high school marks, but I believe it would unfair to really judge my current level of achievement in education by basing it on solely my high school marks, as I admittingly, did not find much success during my high school tenure. Since than however, I have significantly turned it around.

So I suppose my question is, if I were to simply submit an application with my university marks showing a high GPA, and about a 'B' letter grade average, would my odds of being accepted be largely high, or would you attribute it to being rather low since I will not be supplementing it with high school marks?

They did so it would be a case-by-case basis and the admissions posted on their page was simply a guideline, but they have not been helpful with their responses through email, and I would simply love for somebody whom has had a similar experience or just general knowledge to at least give me a sense of encouragement since this will ultimately decide when, or even if I will end up moving to Hong Kong.

Many Thanks!

Yea, they're like that and they won't give you a straight answer whether you meet the requirement or not. I was looking for part-time study at City U and I wanted to know what my chances were but they just replied that I should send in the application and they'd check it out.

However they're flexible enough to consider each application case-by-case. So dont worry, just submit your application and wait for the offer. Have you considered other schools in HK?

Hello Banang,

Thanks for getting back to me! I've been waiting a while for some form of response. I've been given very ambiguous answers still to this day, so I'm not sure what to really do at this point. I haven't considered other schools, because I have pretty much decided on City U's Creative Media program.

Have you tried applying yet? What has been your personal experience?

I think they're not going to give you any definite answer until they process your completed application with all the supporting documents.

So my guess is that you'd need to attached your highschool transcript, university transcript, work experience & reference. Better yet, course description from your university's calendar to support your application so that you don't have to retake those courses that you've already taken in Canada.

My experience with City U is that they're not as strict as other schools in terms of admission requirement. For example, most of the City U postgrad programs do not require GMAT.

I've been out of school for a long time and I'm looking at some banking & finance programs that would help my career development. City U did offer me a place in one of the part-time finance program but I've declined their offer for personal reason. These self-finance postgrad programs are expensive.

Anyway I think you should apply to other HK school such as HKU and CU. The more choices the better...

That's what I fear.. Having to submit my high school transcripts. I've been a few years out of high school, I'd think it'd make sense if I didn't submit it; granted I have good marks in university. My high school marks isn't anything to be proud of, so I'd rather not submit them. Banang, do you foresee an issue with this?

then go take some GMAT or SAT or other stuffs to prove that your high school was a fluk. if you hide, its worst as the impact will be heavier when they realized the short and ask you to replenish the documents.

I studied at CityU few years ago (post grad programme) and to be honest if one day I decide to study further, it won't be with CityU! I was very disappointed in their professors. Some of them barely spoke English (the LLM was supposed to be taught in English!). It's not very difficult to get in, but if you really want to learn something and not just get degree, better try another university!

Unfortunately, CityU is the only school that offers the Creative Media program. As for taking GMAT or SAT.. I would definitely consider them. Right now however, I'm running with close to an A- average (B+) and I have a 9.0 CGPA.

I'm assuming that this will suffice to get into my program in CityU, but not quite sure. I'm taking Bachelor's Honours in Film Studies at Carleton University right now, and being that Creative Media is about film, I'm assuming things will go hand in hand. The only thing that kind of startles me is their inability to give me a straight answer.

Just to ease me a bit psychologically, do you guys think they would accept me with my current averages? Being it's a B+, it seems rather high to not be admitted, as I believe their high school marks cut off was capped at 70% and I'm hitting close to 90's at my current rate.

Any help is appreciated. I will definitely look into GMAT and/or SAT as well! Never thought of it until it was mentioned actually. =)

let's face it, nobody in the world would give you an answer like that. there is no gain for them to do it.

if you need to, just apply for the place and see how it goes

Well, to be specific, my question to them was pretty simple.. I simply asked would it suffice and meet the requirements of an application had I only supplied my university marks, and even for something like that.. They couldn't supply me an answer. It's kind of aggravating, considering I've been speaking to them for a while, and two other schools I have since contacted have already been specific about my requirements. It's unfortunate CityU is the only school with such a unique program.. Sigh. From the experience of the other poster, and the lack of ettiquete exhuded by their department, I'm kind of wary about the school. Nonetheless, I'll take a stab at it and give it a shot I suppose.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast