Part Time MBA - Which One?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Part Time MBA - Which One?

I have many years of managerial experience under my belt. I now wish to up my education with the objective to study current trends, gain more insight, etc. More like a refresher course.

Therefore, I am not looking any high ranking, $$$ MBA course. Besides, Part time is the only way.

In the last 2 days, I have checked out Part time MBAs from following:

1. HKU Space (with Edinburgh Napier, UK)- Msc. in Business Management
    2. HK Management Association (University of Wales, UK) - MBA
    3. Kaplan Higher Education (University of Hull, UK) - EMBA

In the following days, I will also be checking out City University, HK.

Intakes are closing in and I need your help before I make a very critical decision on which school/institute will be appropriate given the above criteria.

If you have any other school (not mentioned here) please let me know.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BRD:
    I have many years of managerial experience under my belt. I now wish to up my education with the objective to study current trends, gain more insight, etc. More like a refresher course.

Therefore, I am not looking any high ranking, $$$ MBA course. Besides, Part time is the only way.

In the last 2 days, I have checked out Part time MBAs from following:

1. HKU Space (with Edinburgh Napier, UK)- Msc. in Business Management
    2. HK Management Association (University of Wales, UK) - MBA
    3. Kaplan Higher Education (University of Hull, UK) - EMBA

In the following days, I will also be checking out City University, HK.

Intakes are closing in and I need your help before I make a very critical decision on which school/institute will be appropriate given the above criteria.

If you have any other school (not mentioned here) please let me know.

Thanks.
    why dont you go for a real university like HKUST, HKU or CUHK?

Hong Kong - University of Strathclyde

Agree with cookie... but check the link out. Ranked 51st in the world by the FT, so also worth considering.

Thank you Cookie09 and Gweilo86 for your prompt response.

Cookie09-I know they are the best. But lot of moolah too for a person nearing 40 ;-)

Gweilo86-I am going to check this out tomorrow along with the other options.

Thanks again.

If you're not planning on going to a top business school; you're price conscious; you're doing it largely out of personal interest rather than for career switching etc; you need to do it part time...

Have you considered the open university?

Their MBA programme is about £16k; it is pretty flexible in terms of the time you can take to complete it; it will cover pretty much all the same stuff that these other courses cover; one might even argue that it actually has some prestige behind it (if that's something a person were to care about) as it's internationally recognised, unlike all of your other suggestions so far.

The main benefit, I think, is the flexibility it offers.

You may also wish to look at Home page: Graduate jobs, Postgrad study, Work Experience, Graduate Career Information | Prospects.ac.uk for other distance learning MBA programmes.

Yes, Gweilo86 - As mentioned in my original post, I am looking at this course as a refresher. Certainly not to gain a certificate. You are right; a lot of these courses are practical, brief, and cover topics that the other Unis covers. Knowledge, flexibility, and cost are my criteria.

Shall explore this link as well. I sure have a packed long weekend :-)

Thanks.

Hey Gweilo86 - I might just go with the University of Strathclyde. Met them and a few others yesterday. Though, it crosses my budget by more than just a few thousand grands, it appears to be better than the rest in my league. I have a couple to check this week. But I am inclined to sign up with UoS unless something better comes up, though, I have my doubts there :-)

Thanks...

I agree with Gweilo86 & cookie09. Read this:
    College is a waste of time - CNN.com

For serious MBA course from highly reputed Universities in HK, not only they charge you for nearly 300k,
    but also take very tight consideration upon your application such as GMAT scores, your past undergraduate grades, your current occupation, your industry & networking and your possible contribution to their institutions after graduation from monetary and reputation perspectives, almost like billionaires trying to order Ferrari exclusive. But if you can't fulfil HKU/HKUST/CUHK MBA requirements,
    maybe you should really re-consider about taking such degree.

I didn't take any master degrees,but my colleagues & friends talked about their regrets upon taking
    any master degrees. The conclusion is "one size education doesn't fit all". The latest commercial trend requires less upon master or doctorial degree.

As for Gweilo86's recommendation upon OUHK, not a good choice too. It's famous for easy entry with easy dropout.

BRD, just gotta watch out those K*plan or **f*rmatics academic counsellor. It isn't your future they care about, but their commission they're eyeing upon your tuition fees. 'coz I had that experience a long time ago.
    If you enter 'coz you're sold to it, please take some more reconsideration before writing cheques.

Last edited by arashikage; 06-06-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arashikage:
    I agree with Gweilo86 & cookie09. Read this:
    College is a waste of time - CNN.com

For serious MBA course from highly reputed Universities in HK, not only they charge you for nearly 300k,
    but also take very tight consideration upon your application such as GMAT scores, your past undergraduate grades, your current occupation, your industry & networking and your possible contribution to their institutions after graduation from monetary and reputation perspectives, almost like billionaires trying to order Ferrari exclusive. But if you can't fulfil HKU/HKUST/CUHK MBA requirements,
    maybe you should really re-consider about taking such degree.

I didn't take any master degrees,but my colleagues & friends talked about their regrets upon taking
    any master degrees. The conclusion is "one size education doesn't fit all". The latest commercial trend requires less upon master or doctorial degree.

As for Gweilo86's recommendation upon OUHK, not a good choice too. It's famous for easy entry with easy dropout.

BRD, just gotta watch out those K*plan or **f*rmatics academic counsellor. It isn't your future they care about, but their commission they're eyeing upon your tuition fees. 'coz I had that experience a long time ago.
    If you enter 'coz you're sold to it, please take some more reconsideration before writing cheques.
    Nothing wrong with easy entry, easy drop out in my book, wish it was more common. Gives more people a chance and not just the elite. The OP clearly states he is looking for additional knowledge/refresher course not a grand certificate. In which case I would suggest he avoids the top unis and goes for the lower ones, often the teaching is better and the staff more interested in the students. Of course colleges are eyeing your course fees, they are businesses after all. This applies to the top Universities as well.

Thanks arashikage and hullexile.

We all know the `importance' of any degree from a big brand, no matter how different the reality is :-)
    I agree with hullexile. After all, isn't that the baseline of education in an ideal world? Education for all...
    I wish that the Uni of HK had more degrees to offer (read more affordable, choices, and flexible). The only one degree (Msc. in Business Management) from HKU Space on this subject is not worth pursuing primarily because of the subjects they are offering (they dont have Financial Management. can you believe it?).

In order to pursue further education in HK, my guess is, one will have to depend on the UK/Australian business colleges in partnership with these dime a dozen educational institutes. These institutes will certainly have their share of commission. Notwithstanding their pep talk and flashy brouchers, the selection of the degree will only depend primarily on the subjects offered, fees, and accreditation (if it really matters) of the college and not what the partner institutes sell.

I agree that, at times, some less known colleges provide quality education and better facilities comparatively.

Btw, another one has appeared on my radar - Uni of Hull, UK. Feedback welcome :-)

Thanks...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast