Requirements for Teaching PE

Requirements for Teaching PE

As an advice from many of my friends in Hk, i was told to try sending resumes or letters to some international schools in Hk. So i would like to know what are the general requirements to apply for a job as a teacher? I have a degree in Human Kinetics with a specialty on Physical Education & Sports Sciences, a first-aid certificate and a volleyball Level-1 coaching certificate. Am i eligible to apply to a teaching vacancy as PE teacher at any international School?

re: PE teaching

I think most international schools will require you to have a teaching qualification like a PGCE. Ask around, though. You might have better luck with some of the private sports companies that run sports activities for kids.
    for example:
    http://www.playsport.com.hk/coaches.php
    there are many others.

Requirements for teaching PE

You will need a teaching degree / diploma - even in local schools you now need one.

Quote Originally Posted by saikunga:
    You will need a teaching degree / diploma - even in local schools you now need one.
    ~

Thats my problem... I have a bachelor degree with a major in Science of Sports and Physical Education, and as far as i know, the degree is recognized not only in my country but through out all the European Union countries, so i was expecting the degree would be recognized as a teaching diploma..
    Last edited by Boneco; 16-06-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boneco:
    ~

Thats my problem... I have a bachelor degree with a major in Science of Sports and Physical Education, and as far as i know, the degree is recognized not only in my country but through out all the European Union countries, so i was expecting the degree would be recognized as a teaching diploma..

Is it a teaching diploma? Does it say Diploma or Bachelor of Teaching? or even Education?
    You say you have a bachelor degree - but what is it? if it doesn't say teaching or education it is not a teaching qualification. Which means you cannot teach in a school in HK.

It may be surprising to some but teaching does require some (quite alot actually) training...not just be an expert in a field. It used to work to work like that in the old HK system - but they figured out that just because you have a degree in a special field it did not mean you were an effective teacher.

Its not a teaching diploma, but i can teach here in my country or in every other country of the European Union, actually i did an internship of 400hours as a PE teacher at a public school. Even though i dont hv a diploma of teaching, im recognized as a PE teacher here...Yeah,but maybe that's just the way how Hk Educational system works...

Last edited by Boneco; 17-06-2007 at 12:07 AM.

teaching certificate, ignore it.

Last year, two of my friends starting teaching at secondary schools "without" any teaching cert. Whether u need to take the PGEC depends on the headmaster's decision. If the school principal sees u're capable of teaching the students, then he is willing to hire u even u don't have any edu cert. But let me tell u some more pagmatic pts. First of all, PE is not a main subj at school but there is always lacking human resources. So ur qualification is better than enough to take a PE teaching post. Say, if u don't teach well, it will NOT bring harm to students' other more impt subjects, like Maths and Eng. But if u really teach well, it is just a bouns to the school as the headmaster has one more thing to promote his school.
    Second, a couple of yrs ago in HK, a secondary school teacher was not asked to possess any cert edu, just BA was enough. But the HK govt perhaps felt the dropping teaching quality, so the govt demanded higher entry requirements--BA plus cert edu. As for the principals, what troubles them most is they fail to find someone to fill the place. AS a result, the principal has to ask the existing employees. When I was at high school, my form teacher often took up some PE classes. But what I try to say to u is that u should listen to ur friends. self-soliciting urself to schools. Or u can go to http://jump.mingpao.com/cfm/JobSearch1.cfm , a web site run by HK's most renowned newspaper and consists most of the edu posts. Good luck.

Yeah, i agree with you dearting, i know my degree doesnt say education, but i completed my internship at a public school giving classes of PE and Sports, and i had courses such as pedagogy,child development and learning, motor development, psicokinetics as all the other sports that are usually part of the PE curriculum...so why cant i be qualified?? Well, i dont know...i will try other ways if this is not the most suitable job for my qualifications