Like Tree7Likes

Urgent help needed Korean Int. School

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The reason this doesn't work in HK is that ALL kids this age seem to into school. Playing with other children near the same age is nearly impossible unless you send them to school. Trust me. I've been trying for 7 months. I'm sending my daughter to school this fall, despite the fact that I agree with waiting til 5 or 6.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I agree in principle but my 4 year old loves going to school and learning to read and write so I guess it depends on the kid. Parenting is trial and error.
    That's great, and falls in line with many education reformers who try to point out exactly what you've stated: "depends on the kid". The concept of a linear model all leading to the same end point is something that just doesn't conform to the reality as it all "depends on the kid".

This is a great TED.com speech on education reform from Sir Ken Robinson. He actually mocks the entire concept of "interviews" for kindergarten (starting around minute 11:20 but there are some good nuggets throughout).

Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the learning revolution! | Video on TED.com

Here is a similar Ken Robinson speech that is RSA Animated (if you haven't watched an RSA video you really should):

We are more than happy to take the time for our youngest (who was born in November) but we live in a building with plenty of kids. I think on average my kids have dinner with five other kids every night so it seems.
    emmie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rebekah:
    The reason this doesn't work in HK is that ALL kids this age seem to into school. Playing with other children near the same age is nearly impossible unless you send them to school. Trust me. I've been trying for 7 months. I'm sending my daughter to school this fall, despite the fact that I agree with waiting til 5 or 6.
    This is one of the sad truths here, unfortunately. The numbers game.

For the first year of classes at any international school, you are looking at something like this:

50 openings. 250 applicants.

For the second year of classes, it is something like this:

5 openings. 200 applicants.

We have the luxury of waiting with our second given sibling priority from our first at a school we like. But it is something that you have to deal with as you look for a spot.

Back to the original poster: I think my strategy this year would be "any port in a storm". Come here, get on the waiting lists at many schools, apply for next year, and then start school knowing that it isn't where you'll end up for the long haul. You might end up getting a call a few weeks after school gets going.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Parents are obviously free to make their own decision and in many cases, it's convenient and sometimes necessary to send the children to school early to secure places or because of people's situation. I'm simply pointing out that it's not likely to be detrimental to a child if the situation calls for something different and they start late. They're not going likely to hopelessly fall behind and might get the opportunity to develop other skills instead.

There's nothing wrong with the child waiting at home instead to get into a parents choice of schools if the home situation allows for it... It might be a better situation than opting for a place that is not a good fit.

Each kid is indeed very different and they each develop in different ways and at different speed. Funny to see for example that kids that are physically bigger are sometimes expected to be more mature as if their brain automatically had to follow their bodies...

Last edited by gilleshk; 23-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:

There's nothing wrong with the child waiting at home instead to get into a parents choice of schools if the home situation allows for it... It might be a better situation than opting for a place that is not a good fit.

I don't think 'waiting at home" or keeping a child at home instead of sending her to school, is legal.I should know!! An international school admissions officer told me this.I panicked and put my daughter into a primary school.And the same officer tells me "now that your child is anyway studying in a good school why do you want to disrupt her studies"!!!!!

i had a student who went to the korean school and really enjoyed it. he much preferred it to the local school he attended previously. after a few years in the english/international section of the korean school, he applied for and was accepted at a boarding school in the us.

Quote Originally Posted by pushiv:
    I don't think 'waiting at home" or keeping a child at home instead of sending her to school, is legal.I should know!! An international school admissions officer told me this.I panicked and put my daughter into a primary school.And the same officer tells me "now that your child is anyway studying in a good school why do you want to disrupt her studies"!!!!!
    The OP's child is 4 so I don't think that not sending them to school is illegal.

thank you all for your replies. My choices are limited and the only schools with a place are the Korean, Delia and Woodland nursery. I think I might choose the Woodland nursery and apply for an international school next year. I am also waiting to hear from Hong Kong academy. We are thinking to rent according to which school he goes to. Stanley looks very nice!

Last edited by elcin; 23-06-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pushiv:
    Compulsory schooling begins at age 6 which means you can legally keep your children at home until that time. The OP's child is 4 so she has no obligation to send a child to school. Most people nowadays simply find it more convenient to send them early for a variety of reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by elcin:
    thank you all for your replies. My choices are limited and the only schools with a place are the Korean, Delia and Woodland nursery. I think I might choose the Woodland nursery and apply for an international school next year. I am also waiting to hear from Hong Kong academy. We are thinking to rent according to which school he goes to. Stanley looks very nice!
    Suggest you start with Woodland as you say BUT immediately put them down for an international school as it's unlikely you will get a place for some time.