Like Tree21Likes

International School waiting lists - help please?!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

International School waiting lists - help please?!

Hello
    I'm British and have done a US expat assignment but never Asia. I've been offered a job in Hong Kong which I'm really excited about. I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old who I need to get into full-time education. From what I can see the education standards are great there, and we'd be looking at an English speaking international school. Can anyone help me confirm what sort of waiting time we might expect before getting them into a school (Discovery Bay, Hong Kong International, Kellett etc) please? I've been told my company will help us out with a debenture. I plan to call around a few schools in the next few days, but would welcome anyone out there sharing their experiences.

Thank you!

First, pretty much every school you are going to call at this stage of the game i.e. 2 weeks before classes start is going to be full with a huge waiting list. You need to ask them if a debenture would even help at this point (at some schools there are debenture holders on the wait lists). Applications this year were up considerably higher than in previous years, with one admissions person telling me "this is the craziest we've seen in 20 years".

Generally, I think you might have to come over for the first six month / year with the attitude "any port in a storm". Find something for your kids that you can start immediately, such as a smaller international school on the Kowloon side (Australian International for example) that might have a smaller waiting list than schools like HKIS, Kellett, etc. You could also try some smaller schools like International Montessori in the Midlevels, or the Delia Canadian School in Quarry Bay.

The 3 year old should be ok. You can find private kindergartens all the way through age 5. As for the seven year old, you should be on the phone immediately to see what you might be able to find. I mean, like right now. It's going to take some leg work.

Skyhook, Satay Sue and FutureHK like this.

Last year, the Australian school waiting list was 6 months long for P1 class (6 years old) for Australian passport holders (who get automatic highest priority over). But I am sure the waiting lists vary greatly.

In November Kelletts had "at least a 3 year wait" to quote their cold email reply to my enquiry. The Canadian (much more polite) was a similar wait. As OP has a debenture option then they may be better off than we were...

Thanks everyone! So far, the HKIS has told me there is no chance, as has Kellett. Canadian international school admissions are on vacation until next week, the two ESF schools I've contacted have told me I need to be living in a catchment before they can tell me if there could be a place and I'm waiting to hear back from DB. ARGGHHHH!!

Thanks for the list of smaller schools penguinsix - I will be looking these up straight away. Any thoughts on KCIS? I've been reading loads of threads on this topic and that one came up a few times too.

I can see I will be reaching out a lot to you all over the coming weeks.

No offense OP, but I think you should have consider the education opportunities for your kids before accepting your job. There is huge demand and limited supply for good international schools in Hong Kong. The standard of education is great, but only if you could secure a spot. You cannot expect just getting a spot for your kid at the last minute.

You should also try Chinese International School at Braemar Hill, HK Island (for your 7 year old). That is one of the top international school in the city. But trying to get into a top level international school, like Hong Kong International or Chinese International is like winning the lucky draw if you are ill prepared.

Last edited by Watercooler; 03-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    Tung Chung mum likes this.

In DB, forget Discovery College. Their waiting list is huge. The other one is DBIS and you might have a chance their if you (or your company) is stupid enough to fork out the $450,000 per kid once off non-refundable premium debenture (aka queue jumping fee).

Watercooler... not all jobs come up with the school planning as orderly as you think.

OP should re-contact ESF at the top and tell them if they have an opening then you will live in the catchment area. They will surely understand that you will choose where to live only after you nail down the schools.

Finding a place in most schools that have been mentioned is simply not going to happen in the age group you are interested in at this stage in the game. Don't waste your time with any of the top ones and go for the ones like Delia or KIS. Find a place where you are interested to live and then send your ESF application and get yourself on waiting lists. Then you do like many people and you can play musical chair until you get in the school that you want. Don't discard local schools, it's a marvelous experience and there are a few people I know and on this board that have gone this way. They do have english speaking schools and support is provided in chinese.

In terms of their education, they'll be fine wherever they go, it's not rocket science at that age. If you have a domestic helper, it would be just as fine for her to look after your three year old and would save yourself a lot of money. The displacement is the hardest things they will face but that's part of the decision you made and whatever school they attend will require an adaptation.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast