anyone been offer a place with EMB this year.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

anyone been offer a place with EMB this year.

Have anyone been offered a position (NET) with EMB for this coming 2007 - 2009?
    My partner has passed the interview and test and is now going through the salary assessment and reference checks and have been told this will take a few weeks. when she applied for the job we were under the impression it would start this August but the process is taking longer than first thought.

Can anyone share their experiences and tell me if this is normal for it to take this long? and what start date should we expect? as we are a family moving to HK so there is alot to organise.

Sorry one more question, if we went before she has secured a school offer will we be able to claim back the travel expenses?

Thank you

Every year, it's the same.

You'll be informed late July/early Aug that you'll be offered a position and they expect you to arrive by Aug 16th.

Schools have been interviewing existing NETs looking to sign new contracts and once they are in place, the EMB will calculate how many more NETs they need. Given that it's also Exam week for most schools, the process of NET recruitment is not a priority. They'll get in a flap by the middle of next month, though and that's when it starts to get moving.

Best not to come until you get an offer and the provisional contract is signed and don't start work before you get the work visa. One NET is being prosecuted for this even thought the Principal of the school may have told him to start working before the visa came through.

Wait until you sign a contract before you come over.

Last edited by takamine; 18-06-2007 at 10:58 PM.

I'm a NET and I can tell that EMB takes forever! Be patient. After the salary assessments and reference checks, her resume will be passed on to schools and schools will call her for a phone interview. After the calls, an offer will be made and only after she signs the contract then the visa application will start. Visa application takes about 8 weeks.

And NO, don't come before the offer is made. Honestly, she may end up with nothing. But don't worry or panic as yet. I've known a couple of nets that started after August. And another point, without the visa, she can't start work because no visa, no salary. It's as simple as that. A friend of mine lost a week's of salary that way. However, visa's can be 'fast tracked'. There were a couple of nets that had their visas in like 4 days or so.

Hope this is all helpful.

Thanks for the advise, it has certainly helped.

Ok thanks for the advice, it has certainly helped.

I have some friends in HK, so accomm in HK for 2-4 weeks in HK might not be a big problem. Hence, I was considering if I should go to HK in mid-July while awaiting the job.

Do you think that I would be able to get reimbursed for air ticket if I do end up getting a offer, esp if I fly to HK before getting a job offer from EMB? Would EMB say that since I am already in HK, I would not be able to get reimbursed for airticket?

Would that complicate the visa application if I am already in HK?

Does anyone know about the success rate, ie once we pass the interview, what are the chances of getting a school to accept us?

This is extremely frustrating.

Last edited by SINgal; 21-06-2007 at 01:19 AM.

SINgal - This is the question I asked but as adviced from sunniefaith and takamine, its better to wait till you get a firm offer.

I totally understand your frustration, its now near the end of June, my daughter due to start reception at the end of august in HK, and I have business commitments as well all happening in august, have to find some where to live, get used to the environment, meeting new friends .....etc ...
    Shall we or Shall we not go there frist.....all these Questions..
    Its rather annoying. I wish they could speed up abit.

takamine- i take it u are a NET as well?

sunniefaith - I have another 23 million questions for you as NET, can I email direct please ?..

many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valantino338:
    SINgal - This is the question I asked but as adviced from sunniefaith and takamine, its better to wait till you get a firm offer.

I totally understand your frustration, its now near the end of June, my daughter due to start reception at the end of august in HK, and I have business commitments as well all happening in august, have to find some where to live, get used to the environment, meeting new friends .....etc ...
    Shall we or Shall we not go there frist.....all these Questions..
    Its rather annoying. I wish they could speed up abit.

takamine- i take it u are a NET as well?

sunniefaith - I have another 23 million questions for you as NET, can I email direct please ?..

many thanks
    Just pmed you my email

Quote Originally Posted by SINgal:
    I have some friends in HK, so accomm in HK for 2-4 weeks in HK might not be a big problem. Hence, I was considering if I should go to HK in mid-July while awaiting the job.

Do you think that I would be able to get reimbursed for air ticket if I do end up getting a offer, esp if I fly to HK before getting a job offer from EMB? Would EMB say that since I am already in HK, I would not be able to get reimbursed for airticket?

Would that complicate the visa application if I am already in HK?

Does anyone know about the success rate, ie once we pass the interview, what are the chances of getting a school to accept us?

This is extremely frustrating.

My advice, don't come to HK to wait for a job. Number 1, you may not be reimbursed your air ticket. And number 2, which is the most important, you may not get a job at all. And yes, there will be visa complications but that's easy to settle. Honestly, not being a wet blanket, there have been cases of people that passed the interview and they do not get job offers. But let's not dwell on that. EMB is looking for nets but every year, emb goes through this mad rush towards the end. There are also nets that were offered jobs after Aug, Sept and whenever. So don't worry or stress out. And importantly, don't quit your job. I didn't give in my resignation letter till I got my working visa in my hand.

BTW, has anyone check out the rental prices in HK? I have heard from friends that rental prices are gone up by 40-50% in the past year so hopefully, this will be reflected on our houseing allowance. A friend is paying HK$13,800 for a 600sq feet apartment in Sai Wan Ho (far side on Hong Kong island), new condo with pool facilities. I was told that her net liveable area is 400 sq ft since gross area includes area from lift to her doorstep, window ledges, part of the fire escape!!?

I hope that we will have time to look for a place? I wonder if they will put us in a hotel for at least a week so that we can look for a permanent accomodation.

So many questions... :-(

Last edited by SINgal; 21-06-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast