Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Golden Hawk
  • 2 Post By Golden Hawk

Ubiquitous question: Learning to read and write Chinese

Closed Thread

Ubiquitous question: Learning to read and write Chinese

I have done some quick research on Geoexpat and the internet regarding a non-native Chinese speaker learning to read and write Chinese (traditional script) using Cantonese pronunciation.

Options:

 Chinese University (CUHK): Chinese Characters and Chinese Reading Programmes: Five modules (Chinese Reading 1, 2, 3, Advanced Chinese Reading, Newspaper) Each module is a semester long and cost $4,200. I also qualify for the $10,000 Continuing Education Fund (CEF). (http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/clc/ssp_series_1.pdf)
     Private Language Learning Center
     Use of DVD, CD’s, various internet websites Chinese (Cantonese) Help sheets
     Private Tutor

I am planning on enrolling at Chinese University (deadline Fri, Aug 26 ).

Questions:

(1) Are there other university that offer courses for reading and writing Chinese (traditional script) using Cantonese pronunciation? A number of schools i.e. HKUST offer courses to achieve oral fluency in Cantonese but not reading/writing traditional script.

(2) Has anyone had any experience with the five specific modules at CUHK and would care to lend any insight/helpful tips?

Thanks!

no idea, but i've always wanted to do the course... you'll have to report back how it goes!

Same here, please report!

Hi Carang and Bookblogger,

Geoexpat has been a huge help to me. My knowledge of Hong Kong and ability to give answers is pretty limited so I would be happy to be able to contribute in this small way. I am now in week four of the twelve week course.

Registration and Orientation:

The Chinese Learning Center (CLC) at CUHK has a very helpful administration and office staff who speak fluent English (and Japanese and Korean). Although my registration was last minute and I had a number of questions they were able to answer me in a timely manner. The head of the Cantonese Department, Dr. Lee, was especially helpful.

Quick Course Overview:

We cover 20 characters a week. There is writing practice and a homework sheet due each week along with a dictation quiz. There are three class sessions every Friday 9:30 AM – 12: 20 PM. The characters and stroke order are introduced. We also practice reading sentences. Minimum out of class homework and writing practice takes about 1 hour to 3 hours a week however I spend more than that in review and listening drills.

I have found it helpful in my quest to learn Cantonese. It could be argued that I could learn faster on my own but I have appreciated the accountability that the course provides. As well, the choice of characters that are taught reflect the same levels that are used in the CLC oral Cantonese courses.

Personal Details:

Some personal details may be helpful in the evaluation of this review. I am 39 years old, male, American Born Chinese. I am at a level 3 oral ability. The class is conducted in Cantonese so you need to understand some Cantonese. I believe that I am motivated and my wife says that I am an optimist by nature so I apologize if the above reads like a commercial.

I would be happy to answer further questions either via PM or other posts.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Same here, please report!

awesome, thanks for getting back to us! would love to hear more as you progress!

I finished the first Cantonese reading course and will be taking a semester off due to other commitments. As a final review I would definitely recommend the Chinese Characters and Chinese Reading Programmes, if the price per semester is not a stumbling block.

Some concluding thoughts:

I was hoping that as the course went on that the time commitment would become less however I found the opposite true. While you learn 20 characters a week or 200 over the course of a semester these can be combined so that you actually know about 800 words once the course is over. In talking with some others in the class, 10 hours out of class time was about average.

Hope this helps.

bookblogger and dumpycactus like this.