Like Tree1Likes

Putonghua Certificate: PSC or HSK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Putonghua Certificate: PSC or HSK?

I'm planning to study Mandarin (or Putonghua) that focus on earning a certificate via proficiency test.

However, I've come across two types (or perhaps there are more variations):

PSC (aka Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi or 普通話水平測試) and HSK (aka Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi or 中国汉语水平考试)

I wonder which proficiency test is more accreditable?

Also, there are too many mandarin schools out there and it's really difficult for me to nail down which institution is more reliable.

I also saw under Kaplan stating that the tuition fees can be waived nearly 80% (from 8650 HKD to 1730 HKD) by the Hong Kong Government with its CEF program with 70% attendance rate and passing the exam.

HKU Space also offer Foundation Certificate in Putonghua with its Putonghua course.

I hope some locals or expats will able to chime in some infos about which certificate is more practical on a professional level. Also, recommendation for schools in Hong Kong Island area will be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by KyoPo:
    I'm planning to study Mandarin (or Putonghua) that focus on earning a certificate via proficiency test.

PSC (aka Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi or 普通話水平測試) and HSK (aka Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi or 中国汉语水平考试)

I believe these two tests have very different target audience: the first one (PSC) is for the Chinese speakers (eg Hong Kong natives who speak Cantonese) who want to pass Mandarin profficiency test - Mandarin being the main language on mainland China, while HSK is for foreigners (non-Chinese) who want to pass Mandarin profficiency test.

Regarding the fee waiver, don't trust the tuition providers, trust the government sources - there are conditions attached to the CEF (google for it).

Finally, about the school - I recommend CUHK. I didn't study there, but at one point I was planning to study Mandarin in HK, and I've done my research. CUHK has come up on top... check out this forum section, there are other postings about studying Mandarin in HK, incl about CUHK.
    Last edited by Khema; 10-09-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khema:
    I believe these two tests have very different target audience: the first one (PSC) is for the Chinese speakers (eg Hong Kong natives who speak Cantonese) who want to pass Mandarin profficiency test - Mandarin being the main language on mainland China, while HSK is for foreigners (non-Chinese) who want to pass Mandarin profficiency test.

Regarding the fee waiver, don't trust the tuition providers, trust the government sources - there are conditions attached to the CEF (google for it).

Finally, about the school - I recommend CUHK. I didn't study there, but at one point I was planning to study Mandarin in HK, and I've done my research. CUHK has come up on top... check out this forum section, there are other postings about studying Mandarin in HK, incl about CUHK.
    Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!

I'm intended to obtain a certificate so that it will be helpful for me if I get to transfer to a different country in near future.

What's your opinion of HKU Space? HKCU sounds like a neat option though location wise it's out of my range. Proximity wise, I would much prefer in Hong Kong island.

Personally, HKU comes second on my list for studying Chinese (Canto or Putonghua) - vs private schools. CUHK seems to be more 'focused' on Chinese studies but I am sure the quality of instruction and certificate are comparable.

Both HKU and CUHK can prepare you for HSK (besides their own testing and certification). HKU Putonghua centre runs HKS test (I did it last November) - they may be the only place to sit HSK.

School of Chinese, The University of Hong Kong

I am not sure about the links between HKU's School of Chinese and HKU Space, if they are run/taught by the same team that there is really no difference, only the course schedule. You may write to HKU Space to enquire who manages their Putonghua evening courses and whether they follow the same programme and syllabus as the School of Chinese courses.

Last edited by Khema; 10-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.

The HSK is aimed at non-Chinese and ethnic minorities studying Chinese within China. There's an old version and a new version, the new version is slightly easier than the old version. It tests reading, writing, listening, and speaking (you have to make a recording). It's similar to TOEFL in English, and it's a requirement for entering some degree courses in China for foreigners to have an intermediate or advanced level pass. Wikipedia: Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has some more details.

A pass of HSK at advanced level would be equivalent to functional Chinese, the bare minimum you'd need in a professional setting, but probably not enough for most jobs as it doesn't test professional vocabulary and even at advanced level the fluency required when speaking for example is limited. The exam takes an hour or two depending on the level.

Baidu has more details on the PSC: http://baike.baidu.com/view/21049.htm, the information below is mostly from there. PSC is a spoken test aimed mostly at people whose native language is Mandarin, but also at foreigners who have passed the HSK. It's only about 15 minutes long.

70% of the PSC test is pronunciation and ability to read out loud, including reading out single and double characters, testing correct use of 儿化 and 轻声, as well as a 400 character passage read aloud where fluency is tested. The remaining 30% is an ad-lib on a randomly selected topic. There are three grades, with upper and lower levels at each grade.

The three grades represent different levels of spoken Mandarin appropriate for different jobs: broadcasters, TV hosts, and TV drama actors must have Mandarin equivalent to the top grade; teachers and university students must have Mandarin equivalent to the second grade; people working for the state must have Mandarin equivalent to the third grade.

For professional use HSK advanced followed by grade 2 or above PSC would be good goals to aim for. Really though the important thing is how confidently you can communicate with the language if you think you will use it in professional settings.

Last edited by dengxi; 11-09-2011 at 01:33 AM.
    Khema likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dengxi:
    The HSK is aimed at non-Chinese. It tests reading, writing, listening, and speaking (you have to make a recording).

Is it possible to take just the oral and aural tests alone?
    Last edited by East_coast; 11-09-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khema:
    I second that, I currently study Putonghue at CUHK, the quality of tuition is excellent. Living in DB it is a bit of a track to get there, but it is well worth it.
    I've done some research before I enrolled, CUHK came on top.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You can enquire directly at the testing centre of HKU:

課程資料

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    yes, it is possible: the new HSK offers 3 levels. For more information you may have a look here; 考试报名--汉语考试服务网

Quote Originally Posted by KyoPo:

Also, there are too many mandarin schools out there and it's really difficult for me to nail down which institution is more reliable.

I also saw under Kaplan stating that the tuition fees can be waived nearly 80% (from 8650 HKD to 1730 HKD) by the Hong Kong Government with its CEF program with 70% attendance rate and passing the exam.

HKU Space also offer Foundation Certificate in Putonghua with its Putonghua course.

I hope some locals or expats will able to chime in some infos about which certificate is more practical on a professional level. Also, recommendation for schools in Hong Kong Island area will be greatly appreciated!
    if you are looking for professional chinese test, you may also check out the BCT = business chinese test. for more information: 考试报名--汉语考试服务网

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast