Like Tree5Likes

Learning Mandarin, advice wanted!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Learning Mandarin, advice wanted!

Hi Folks,

Who can give me some advice on how to learn Mandarin? Obviously I have looked through the older forum threads and online, but still haven't got a clue. I'd love to get some advice from people who learned Mandarin, being an English (or Dutch) native speaker.
    I'm looking for a method that:
    - Can be done part time as I work during the week days
    - Doesn't cost a fortune

My aim would be to speak conversational Mandarin within a year about all day life topics like news, weather, food etc.

Thanks in advance,

AJ

Go to the library and borrow a beginners Mandarin book with audio cds. If you finish the book and are still interested in learning mandarin borrow an interrmediate book. After that, if you still haven't given up try CUHK.

Last edited by ewankho; 13-09-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Move to Beijing, get a Chinese girlfriend. Surround yourself with Chinese people, then it should be easy.

virago likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Move to Beijing, get a Chinese girlfriend. Surround yourself with Chinese people, then it should be easy.
    Can't move to Beijing, to long commuting time to HK everyday . Further, I learn from my Chinese friends, but it's going rather at a slow pace
    Last edited by Arjan; 14-09-2011 at 01:31 AM.

I just enrolled at HKU for the intensive putonghua course. It seems fairly reasonable. It's a night or weekend course for a semester.

Quote Originally Posted by lingc:
    I just enrolled at HKU for the intensive putonghua course. It seems fairly reasonable. It's a night or weekend course for a semester.
    Could you give me the details of the course?

CHUK is doing an intensice Putonghua evening/weekend course as well here, are the details: http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/clc/ssp_series_4.pdf
    I started with the fulltime 2 year Putoghua program and have so far been very impressed (and working very hard)

work hard on your mopobofo's. Once you crack pinyin pronunciation it is a lot easier.

15 minutes everyday.

rote learning backed-up with daily use

The big question - learn characters or not

Last edited by East_coast; 14-09-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    work hard on your mopobofo's. Once you crack pinyin pronunciation it is a lot easier.

15 minutes everyday.

rote learning backed-up with daily use

The big question - learn characters or not
    I started learning character in the first week. After one week I am now able to read/write everything we learned so far in Lesson 1. That said I go to university every day for half a day and then sit down for 3-4 hours doing homework and practise/memorise characters...

Quote Originally Posted by Arjan:
    Could you give me the details of the course?
    http://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/intensive-intro-putonghua
    Arjan likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast