International primary schools in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

International primary schools in HK

Hi,
    I am just embarking on the difficult task of finding a school in Hong Kong for my daughter. I'm interested to hear from people who send their children to ESF Glenealy or the Hong Kong Academy School - what are your thougths/experiences of these schools?

I'm also keen to hear from Australian expats who have had to deal with the transition from the Australian school year to a northern hemisphere one. My research so far indicates that my daughter who is 3/4 of the way through her first year of school in Sydney (kindergarten - which i understand to be the ESF equivalent of year 1) will have to start again at an ESF school as she is born 4 days after the cut-off date (Jan 4) for entry into the following year. I'm concerned she will be bored starting all over again not to mention that when we come back to Oz she will be behind. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Trellick

These topics on ESF and other Intl Schools have come up quite often and regularly in these forums.

I suggest that you search the threads - you should get the info you require other than the cut off date issue.

Hi

There is an Australian International School in Kowloon Tong in Hong Kong. The school follows a NSW curriculum and timetable so start January and finish December.

The have a web site so you can look up more information.
    http://www.aishk.edu.hk/

My children attend and all children I know seem to settle in very well.

Good luck.

Trellick,

Have a read through this thread on GeoBaby

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread121614.html

Thanks for the feedback. The Australian school is not really on our radar because of its location although we may change our view on this depending on how things go. I hear it is a great school.

I'm still keen to hear from anyone whose children go to ESF Glenealy or Hong Kong Academy?

My kids don't go to either school but both have excellent reputations.

HK Academy gets rave reviews from every parent I have met. The old campus was fairly run-down with NO sport and outdoor area the size of a living room. It was supposed to be moving but haven't heard much about that recently. It has opened a Secondary stream now which some parents are relieved about. It is a fair bit more expensive than the ESF schools but also teaches Mandarin, PYP and has a gifted program too.

Both schools have a very high ratio of expat vs local students.

If you are considering the Aussie School - it has quite an extensive bus route covering NT, Kowloon and HK Island and the buses are excellent (but expensive). I think the website has a link, or the school can fax you. Pick up is very early.

Quote Originally Posted by trellick:
    Thanks for the feedback. The Australian school is not really on our radar because of its location although we may change our view on this depending on how things go. I hear it is a great school.

I'm still keen to hear from anyone whose children go to ESF Glenealy or Hong Kong Academy?
    Last edited by hottie; 14-08-2007 at 06:23 PM.

I went to Glenealy, and my niece is there now. It's a good school.

HK Academy

My eldest two are at the HK Academy - we love it and chose it in preference to GSIS and ESF places

I hear HK Academy might be moving down to the south part of the island? Some also say that whilst they are an excellent school, their facilities are limited and the actual school grounds are not up to much? What are your thoughts on this? We are going to see them when we visit in October.

Cheers,

Trellick

Hka

You'll hate the campus - it's like a squat. No outdoor space worth talking about and sports facilities are non-existant. Can't say much about the academics.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast