learn cantonese w/o being ripped off...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question learn cantonese w/o being ripped off...

any suggestions on 'cheap' / 'affordable' cantonese classes where we won't get ripped off? (since i heard cantonese classes targeting english speakers tend to be overpriced...) any info / links / reco would be much appreciated.

The cantonese class Intl Social Services mentioned in the "Cantonese School" discussion thread only costs $100 for 50 hours.

get yourself a book, with an audio disc and some local friends to help you with pronunciation.

You could try YMCA's course for a start. When I took it, 2 years ago it was something like 800$ for 10 classes. Once you get the basics, it will be much easier and won't need to take classes. Watching cantonese programmes on tv and movies on DVD with English subtitles will help a lot.
    This website is very helpful for self practice http://www.chinese-lessons.com/
    Good luck!

thanks alot guys. being a cantonese speaker I'm more wary of places that try to rip off white/english speakers. I'm trying to find a good place for my partner to learn chinese, will check out your suggestions first. Thanks guys!!

I'm taking classes with the ISS now. $100 for 50 hours. I have to talk to the teacher about some of the stuff he's taught us though. For example, "man on" for good evening. Nobody actually says that, although it is written. I don't really see the point of being taught stuff that isn't natural speech...

Try Pimsleurs Cantonese Course. You can buy a set of CD's which cost a fortune but well worth it.
    The beauty of this course is you can do in your own time and it teaches you the sound and tone (very important in Cantonese). Very methodical, keeps repeating the words you learn each lesson. I am on disc 4 but its taken me a while to reach this stage but quite easy to follow. All you need is commitment and time. i recommend it

i think my partner would prefer a class environment so he can interact with the teacher and fellow students. I totally agree with teaching 'natural speech' - but sometimes it's difficult because of the slangs locals use. so you feel better, no one really even say good evening to eachother that much... :-) (goodnite = 'jo tau')

Quote Originally Posted by Pekkerhead:
    get yourself a book, with an audio disc and some local friends to help you with pronunciation.
    Colloquial Cantonese is quite good, as an example:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Colloquial-Cantonese-Complete-Course-Beginners/dp/0415082021"]Amazon.com: Colloquial Cantonese (Colloquial Series) (9780415082020): Gregory James, Keith S. T. Tong: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wnfEpfGAL.@@AMEPARAM@@51wnfEpfGAL[/ame]

However be warned it can be very challenging if your friends cannot write Yale method. No Cantonese speaker I know can read that book

Quote Originally Posted by crystal123:
    Try Pimsleurs Cantonese Course. You can buy a set of CD's which cost a fortune but well worth it.
    The beauty of this course is you can do in your own time and it teaches you the sound and tone (very important in Cantonese). Very methodical, keeps repeating the words you learn each lesson. I am on disc 4 but its taken me a while to reach this stage but quite easy to follow. All you need is commitment and time. i recommend it
    Hi Crystal,
    Could you please tell me where can I buy this CD? I will definitely will try it and see if I can learn a bit.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast