Like Tree1Likes

Undergraduate in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

@jayman_sa; if I were you I would seriously consider Taiwan a better option. Living costs are much lower, and you would be living in a putonghua speaking environment . However you should check out Taiwanese laws on holding part time jobs while studying as earlier comment is correct; you are not allowed to work on a student visa In Hk.

Hong Kong employment regulations for non local students: HKSAR - Immigration Department

Quote Originally Posted by MsPoppins:
    @jayman_sa; if I were you I would seriously consider Taiwan a better option. Living costs are much lower, and you would be living in a putonghua speaking environment . However you should check out Taiwanese laws on holding part time jobs while studying as earlier comment is correct; you are not allowed to work on a student visa In Hk.
    I would go to Taiwan in a heartbeat if I knew the education I would receive there would be useful and up-to-par. Any experiences in this regard?

Most Taiwan universities are not recognised here. You better choose carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Ok.

I wouldn't concentrate on your nationality or skin. I cannot imagine that somewhere like ......................puts much emphasis on this. If it does, then you should look elsewhere
    NY Times article - “It pains me to say this, but putting down black might help my admissions chances and putting down Asian might hurt it.”
    Huffington Post article - For years, many Asian-Americans have been convinced that it's harder for them to gain admission to the nation's top colleges.

Surely most Uni's will look for people who can enhance the University. Not being another 'me too' student with good grades will probably help your application.

If you can demonstrate that you're capable beyond the classroom with real (and exceptional) skills and interests you should have a better chance.

HK

1. If you really want do your undergrad studies in Asia the only options I would consider are Singapore or HK. The best unis in Taiwan (Chengchi, NTU etc.) are good for exchange but not enough good courses and teachers for the entire program in my opinion.

Things are changing really fast and more and more people wants to study in HK, so it is no longer easy to get full scholarships. However with straight A's I am pretty sure you would get at least a 1-yearscholarship for both HKU and HKUST (probably the best schools for undergrad business studies in HK). Most likely you can extend the scholarship if you perform well. HKUST has a scholarship for international students paid by Swire which covers your entire study period, but fierce competition I guess.

A few things to consider before studying in HK though.
    1. If you want to do grad school afterwards you have to ask yourself if it is worth it studying here. You are going to have to work so much harder for a decent GPA compared to the US or Europe (not sure about S-A).
    2. In HK unless you want to get into finance after graduation (or even then) you will most likely have a huge disadvantage for not knowing Cantonese (especially if you want to do marketing or management).

Quote Originally Posted by glutto:
    However with straight A's I am pretty sure you would get at least a 1-yearscholarship for both HKU and HKUST
    I'm not sure what leads you to think this? I'm from England where straight As are quite common and wouldn't guarantee anything by themselves. I don't know where OP got his straight As but I certainly wouldn't make the blanket statement that he'll get a scholarship with them.

Straight As from some countries with low standards of education won't even meet the entrance requirements for many universities.

Point taken. I am not sure about the grade systems in different countries. I do know some of the unis here promise to give out scholarships if you have taken IB in High School and gotten a certain result. Again, things are changing so fast here, and the schools no longer have to "beg" foreigners to come. I did an undergrad in Hong Kong 3 years ago, and at that time 50% of the international students were on some sort of scholarship (including some people with pretty average grades from their home countries). Last year a friend applied with very strong academics, and he did not even get in, let alone get a scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Ok.

I wouldn't concentrate on your nationality or skin. I cannot imagine that somewhere like HKU puts much emphasis on this. If it does, then you should look elsewhere.

You say you have straight As. That's excellent and well done for the hard work. You've also spent a year in China gaining language skills. That makes you different. Well done. Keep trying to add good things like these to your CV.

Good luck.
    If HK universities work like western (Canadian) univ. they will look at country of origin to ensure their student populations are actually universal. Of course they charge higher tuition to off shore students so there is something in that for them but univ. rankings in Canada look also at % of foreign students.

It is not directly ethnic.

If OP hopes to keep and enhance Mandarin skills it is not easy to do it in HK especially for those new with no network here of Mandarin speakers. Why not study in the mainland?

I have a PRC pal who is just finishing his Canadian univ. MBA at Tsinghua U in Beijing. He has a BBA from Simon Fraser Univ. and perfect English - oral and written. He says that the Chinese univ is not as good as Canada for quality. BUT the experience is likely for the OP to benefit Mandarin skills but only if a daily Mandarin environment which is not HK.
    Last edited by Football16; 27-01-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayman_sa:
    You are correct, of course. An emphasis on ethnicity is wholly undesirable. It was a mistake to even mention it.

Anyways, thanks for your response. It was hugely encouraging! I still have another 8 months until September which I'll put towards language acquisition and possibly an internship. I'm fully committed to a future in the Asia Pacific region and if I'm unable to get a scholarship from a university in Hong Kong, I'll study on the mainland or possibly in Taiwan.
    Why is nationality something you have to apologize for ? Universities ask that question on their application Forms anyway. Why do they ask ? I'll tell you why, because they want to have a racially balanced University which is unfair. The best candidates should get the nod regardless of color, race or religion. Universities should not ask those questions to begin with.