Waiting list for international schools?

Closed Thread

Waiting list for international schools?

We're preparing to move to Hong Kong in the next few weeks and are trying to find out more about the schools. Is it true there is a waiting list of approx 600+ students for the international school of HK???

Most schools now have waiting lists, no idea what the total figure is though. There is an enormous amount of changing schools in September though as places suddenly become available and children move to the school they wanted. My daughter was number 8 on the waiting list for her year, virtually no chance of entry however on the first day of term she got a place.

Wait lists

Depends what year you are looking at. Primary 1 is oversubscribed in just about every school. My 3 year old is 160th on the list at Kellett (without a debenture). I'll let you know how far he moves up after applying one to his name. Our eldest (Primary 1 this year) did not get a place at the three schools we put him down for - but luckily he passed the assessment for GSIS when a place became available at the last minute. Good luck.

After all the scare stories about debentures, just to say one was never mentioned to me.

Get a list of contact details for the schools that interest you and call and find out. Situation changes month to month. Sometimes vacancies open up in the middle of the term and there are no immediate takers till next term. You can get lucky...

We've gotten some news

We heard yesterday from HKIS that they have NO openings now - possible next term, but not likely. They did say that if our kids were currently in American schools they're moved up on the list, although I don't know why. The AIS said they have spots for all 3 of my girls but the girls have to be there for interviews, etc before they'll say if they're admitted or not. We really need to know that they're in a school or we aren't taking the job there. It's a scary idea to move from our home and great schools here to a foreign country and not know if they're in somewhere! What other schools are good? We need 7th, 1st and preschool. Where do most expats live????
    Thank you to allof you!!

Are you moving with a large company? The HR department should be able to help with the placements.

Hi tommyknocker,

I've sent you a PM. Please check. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyknocker:
    Depends what year you are looking at. Primary 1 is oversubscribed in just about every school. My 3 year old is 160th on the list at Kellett (without a debenture). I'll let you know how far he moves up after applying one to his name. Our eldest (Primary 1 this year) did not get a place at the three schools we put him down for - but luckily he passed the assessment for GSIS when a place became available at the last minute. Good luck.

Finding schools is nightmarish here. What you should know: 1) highly desireable schools sell debenture bonds to move you up the wait list; 2) registration period for most schools in going on right now for next year, some schools list you based on application received date; 3) schools require interviews/testing to assess language (not as big an issue if moving from US and english-speaking home); 4) husband's company and/or relocation company deal with this problem every day, get them to push thru; 5) the highly desireable schools have long wait lists, but most families sit on 3-6 wait lists. So when families start accepting positions in schools their names/places will fall off other lists.

In many cases, members of families attend different schools. While it may seem exceedingly difficult, it may be necessary to achieve the education you want for them, i.e. the 7th grader may need more challenging school.

Good luck and don't let it get you down. It is a great place to live (we've been here 8 mo) and a great family experience.

if you want your kids to go to one of those big name schools like HKIS, CIS or an ESF school, the waiting lists are really long... but some of the smaller schools like ICS and CAIS have shorter waiting lists, especially for CAIS.. both are christian schools, and the students are generally more well behaved than most other international schools here... plus, the school fees are a whole lot cheaper!