Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dreadnought

HKU Hall Questions

Closed Thread

HKU Hall Questions

Hi everyone!

I'm an Asian-American going to study abroad in HKU in the fall. I'm really excited! (:

I have a few question..

1. Are most of the people in dorms first year students? I'm going to be a fourth year in the fall. It would be unfortunate to not have anyone around my age.

2. I'm looking at the halls... I'm deciding between Starr, Simon KY Lee, and Swire.

I speak pretty fluent Cantonese with no accent (I think). Communication isn't a problem for me, and I really want to meet more locals. That's why I am kind of dismissing Starr, since it's not really my goal to meet more exchange students. I'm really hoping to befriend many locals that will take me to places.

I did, however, read that hall life there is kind of intense. People are really involved and stuff. I plan to get a lot of traveling done on the weekend, so I don't really know how that would work. Should I just stay at Starr and meet fellow exchange students that might want to travel with me? I'm thinking the more the better.

3. If I'm not really involved, will they kick me out of the dorms. I kind of read about that too... I mean if they kick me out at the end of the semester, I obviously wouldn't mind. I'll be gone by December anyway.

4. Since they put so much emphasis on these halls. Are all the hall mates REALLY close to each other/know each other very well? I mean in America, we are not ever forced to do any activities if we don't want to go.

5. I'm going with a friend, but I'm deciding whether I want to room with her or not. I want to get close to my potential room mate, and I really hope she's a Hong Kong local. The thing that concerns me the most is stealing. ): Does anyone have anything to comment about that?

6. How do the local students feel about exchange students?

7. If the iPhone 5 comes out in America before I go to HK, I think I'm going to buy it and try to use it there. Then... sell it to someone before I come back to America because I am a dedicated Android fan... It's just that my phone is not unlocked, and I want to have a smartphone with me. Does anyone think that this plan will work? I heard that there's a really high demand for iPhones in mainland China, which I plan to go to after I finish school in HK.

Last thing.. does anyone have any advice for an exchange student going to Hong Kong? Like what to bring.. or what not to bring?

Thank you!

Last edited by jenuine; 20-01-2012 at 06:06 AM.

I'm not a student, but since no one else has replied, I'll try to answer some of your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by jenuine:
    1. Are most of the people in dorms first year students? I'm going to be a fourth year in the fall. It would be unfortunate to not have anyone around my age.
    While the hall association does indeed pick students from all years, most of them tend to be first and second year students.

2. I'm looking at the halls... I'm deciding between Starr, Simon KY Lee, and Swire.

I speak pretty fluent Cantonese with no accent (I think). Communication isn't a problem for me, and I really want to meet more locals. That's why I am kind of dismissing Starr, since it's not really my goal to meet more exchange students. I'm really hoping to befriend many locals that will take me to places.

I did, however, read that hall life there is kind of intense. People are really involved and stuff. I plan to get a lot of traveling done on the weekend, so I don't really know how that would work. Should I just stay at Starr and meet fellow exchange students that might want to travel with me? I'm thinking the more the better.
    Your choice. Either way there are hall activities that you are expected to get involved in. The exchange students tend to be more outgoing, while the locals are generally more focused on their studies and hall activities.

3. If I'm not really involved, will they kick me out of the dorms. I kind of read about that too... I mean if they kick me out at the end of the semester, I obviously wouldn't mind. I'll be gone by December anyway.
    My understanding of hall admission is that once you're in, unless you do something that would lead to your expulsion, then your place in the halls is secure for a year, and not just for the semester. And yes, if you are not actively involved in hall activities, it is likely that you will lose your place after the year is up.

4. Since they put so much emphasis on these halls. Are all the hall mates REALLY close to each other/know each other very well? I mean in America, we are not ever forced to do any activities if we don't want to go.
    Likewise. However, while you are not forced to be actively engaged, it is encouraged, and if you choose not to, then you are unlikely to retain your spot the following year, which probably won't make any difference to you since you're only here for a semester. Obviously, when you participate in the activities, you will get to know a lot of other students, and since you speak Cantonese you should be fine as long as you are generally outgoing and do not have problems getting along with people. You may just find that you think differently, having grown up in a different environment.

5. I'm going with a friend, but I'm deciding whether I want to room with her or not. I want to get close to my potential room mate, and I really hope she's a Hong Kong local. The thing that concerns me the most is stealing. ): Does anyone have anything to comment about that?
    I don't know if you have the option to choose your room mates. Theft is not an issue here.

6. How do the local students feel about exchange students?
    The local students at HKU tend to keep to themselves. There are, of course, exceptions. Though I am not sure you would be regarded as a non-local given that you speak Cantonese without an accent. However, if you mostly kept to yourself/your community growing up state side, then you'll probably fit right in over here.
    Satay Sue and DeeL like this.

Have fun! I went on exchange a year ago to HKU and it was one of the best experiences of my undergrad!

Exchange students aren't expected to join the hall activities so there won't be any consequences for not participating. You are, however, required to go to high table dinners. Some exchange students still skip them anyways but just have to make up an excuse and later write a letter explaining why.

Some things to bring are: clothes hangers in case the previous occupants didn't leave some behind, looseleaf paper, binders, camera, laptop, and lots of $$$ for traveling and shopping!!

Last edited by hihk; 29-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Not a former hall student, so I can't really comment on that. But you might want to check on the iPhone being unlocked in the UsA. They were carrier locked when I lived there, but might have changed since. Make sure any phone you buy is gsm and not CDMA as HK is gsm only.

I wouldn't bring clothes hangers or 文具 as it an be easily purchased in HK. Don't bring any electrical products, like hair dryer, as the voltage is different and will blow it up. Laptops, chargers are ok as they have an inverter.

Bring some OTC medicine, ie Tylenol, In case you get sick. And good walking shoes. A toothbrush for the flight makes it 100times more enjoyable.

Do be careful of traffic,look right, left, right exp on streets with no lights.