Like Tree1Likes

CUHK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Not much of a problem in the winter but during the rest of the year, March to November, the crowing of all the roosters in the nearby hills can be annoying if you like to sleep later than 6am. But lots of local and mainlander students can adjust so perhaps it won't any trouble for you.

OP, you keep on mentioning the need to go to Central, why?

I see others already replied on the rest but interested on this point cos if you worry about shopping, malls, resto, bars, cine...you've got all this close to CUHK w/o going all the way to Central, so no worry.

Oh, well, I was just curious about Central because a lot of tourist traps seem to be around there. My friend will be at HKU, so if we were to hang out, we'd probably have to meet each other there.

And, LOL @ roosters. ): I think I'm a pretty heavy sleeper, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Can anyone comment on the CUHK language placement tests for Canto/Mandarin? I can speak Cantonese pretty fluently because I don't want to be placed in advanced or something. So.. I might want to tone down the advanced-ness during the test. I don't really think that I can compare to locals and what not. As for Mandarin, I've taken up to "6th grade" in Chinese school and "3rd year" in my university.. but LOL, it's pretty easy here, and I don't know how intense it is there. I don't want to put myself in a higher level if I can't handle it. D': My writing ability is super limited too. haha

Last edited by jenuine; 16-02-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Regarding the language tests - for Cantonese, it's fairly simple. You will neither need to speak (for classes) nor be able to learn it. The only Cantonese classes offered as a part of the university curriculum are two very basic level short courses (4h per week) that are taken mostly by the ABC/BBC exchange students looking for an easy A . Furthermore, there is a Cantonese-for-mandarin-speakers course, but I guess that would not work for you either. Other than that, there is only the CLC program that is _not_ part of the undergrad or postgrad curriculum, and you need to get through tons of red tape to get credit for it. It took me two years of my three year program and an angry letter to the head of the graduate school to join these classes, and even that was only possible because, as a research PG student, I was very flexible with my schedule.
    For Putonghua, there are courses at all levels. Just sign up for different levels in the first two weeks and choose the module you feel suits you best.
    Re transport - there is a red mini bus from Wan Chai to Tai Po that passes by the campus entrance on Tai Po road. Pretty quick, but not all that frequent.

Smile CUHK

The environment in CUHK is good, as there are many trees and the university is spacious. It is a little bit old but it is close to the nature.
    Taking MTR is convenient there. It takes only 10 minutes to Shatin and 20 minutes to Kowloon Tong, both of which have big shopping malls and other facilities. It will take about 40 mins to Central or Causeway Bay. Causeway Bay is full of shops and dining places, but Central is just a commercial area in Hong Kong. It's for business only.
    You can also go to Ma On Shan and Sai Kung from the University MTR station.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know Central was an commercial area. xD Well, that's useful to know.

I'm pretty excited to study abroad actually. I'm starting a blog to document my experiences. I really hope I will like CUHK. I'm mainly going there to take Canto/Mandarin classes. I'm an ABC, but my Canto is pretty fluent. I just wanted to take some reinforcement classes.

I'm also really interested in translation and interpretation classes. Can anyone comment on this?

I emailed the professor asking how much Chinese do I know how to write for the intro to translation class, and he gave me a really vague answer.. like "there's no real level of Chinese that you must know. People that perform the best receive As, then Bs, then Cs, etc." .................. what kind of answer is that?!

Hey jenuine, am I right in assuming you'll be starting this fall (Sept 2012)? I'm going to be studying a one year master's degree there, and I'm looking for shared housing around the Shatin area. Feel free to PM me if you might be interested in looking for housing with someone.

I'm actually going to be dorming. :X sorry! good luck though!

ha no problem. i had to sign a paper stating that i understand that there are no on-campus accommodations available for new graduate students this upcoming year, so i'm on my own when it comes to housing.