Like Tree9Likes

International schools

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatNeighbor:
    After reading through this, I would seriously consider NOT moving my family here. How bad is a local school here as compared to an IS? Is the situation the same with both local and international school? I mean the waiting list.
    depends on the local school, some are better than IS. the best are hard to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatNeighbor:
    After reading through this, I would seriously consider NOT moving my family here. How bad is a local school here as compared to an IS? Is the situation the same with both local and international school? I mean the waiting list.
    Tier 1 local schools are extremely good but given language needs and the competition for places it is highly unlikely foreign kids would get in. In general education is pretty good in HK but people complain about rote learning but this is changing with a new Diploma. HK always scores near the top of the PISA rankings which tests young people‘s ability to use their knowledge and skills to meet real-life challenges, rather than merely on the extent to which they have mastered a specific school curriculum. (many people wrongly assume PISA tests knowledge rather than ability to use knowledge as countries who are synonymous with rote learning often come neat the top).

This wiki link - List_of_international_schools_in_Hong_Kong gives a pretty comprehensive list of schools. It is worth noting some of the ESF schools have government mandated catchment areas limited your choice.

Thanks Mat and EC. If a child can get a slot in a local school, how much would it normally cost? I haven't considered a local school but since you mentioned that some are even better than IS, then it might be worthwhile to include those in our options.
    I like the school where my kids are enrolled back home, that's one of the major reasons why I did not move them here. I'm not sure if their curriculum is actually "advance" on an international standard but I am quite amazed on how they are able to introduce subjects like botany and zoology to first graders, and the kids actually learn them.

my son's local school is free. it's pretty good, but not one of the crazy-pressure schools. i've written about it in the past (ad nauseum). there is an "english" stream and a "cantonese" stream. classes are small (24), they are located on the waterfront and have a large play area.

Thanks, Cara. I'd go on an "academic tour" on my next days off to get a clearer picture.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4