Private English Tutor

Closed Thread

Private English Tutor

Hello there,
    I've just returned to good old Stratford-upon-Avon, having spent the last six years teaching English in the PRC (Beijing and Shanghai mainly). I visited Hong Kong several times on the visa-run, and, gradually finding my way around, slowly became aquainted with the place. The more I saw, the more I liked. Hence, it was during my last visit that I decided I would like to relocate, after a vist home to the UK to catch up with the folks.

I noticed that there are large expat communities in both Aberdeen and Stanley, and though I doubt that my bachelor means could afford to live there, I would certainly like to work in the vicinity. I'm hoping not to have to 'go it cheap' on Nathan Rd., and wonder if there is even a 'live-in' option available for a private tutor. I have done my homework concerning the private language centres, having more than a few experiences with them over the border. In short they have little concern for providing a quality education, and are primarily concerned with making as much $ as quickly as possible, often being morally bankrupt in the process.

I spent my last year in China working as a biographer (with the help of a Chinese assistant), writing for Chinese artists, as well as providing critiques for several art galleries and museums.
    However, I prefer private teaching, and have taught to all age groups, as well as students with special needs. I also worked for the Shanghai Korean School in 2006.

I look forward to any replies, and hope to get back out to Hong Kong by the start of next year. Hopefully I will be able to set something up by the time I fly out, and not have to suffer Mirador Mansions for too long ~ I'm 35 years old already and it is a little late for that 'backpacker experience', really!

Yours in good faith ~ Alexander

Last edited by Alexander Crowe; 27-10-2007 at 06:32 AM. Reason: grammar, dear boy, grammar!

You might also want to start looking at places like the ESF etc if you have a suitable degree (which I suspect you might have if you've taught at an international school in Shanghai).

The international schools in HK pay a decent wage and are not as short term focused as some of the tutorial centrers.

If you're stuck without a degree in education or a TEFL / equivalent qualification... limited options.

Cheers.
    I suspect that after the recent demise of the Nova chain in Japan, there will be quite a number of NETs heading over.
    (various threads here)
    Having had a similar experience in China with language centres closing down overnight, and hearing of 'goldfish bowl' environments in the HK centres, I think that business model has just about had its day :/

Well, I'll keep looking + can't wait to get back ~ right-o