Anfield

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anfield

Hi, We are relocating to Hong Kong at the end of the month and have got school places in Anfield Wai Tai and Kowloon for our two children ages five and three.

To current Anfield parents what do you think of the school and where do families live?

We are thinking about living in Clearwater Bay. Would this work?

Many thanks for your help.

Tai Wai (not Wai Tai) is too far to expect your children to commute from clearwater bay. it would take them close to an hour.

i would suggest you look at kowloon tong, depending on your budget. Anfield is not a common "expat" school, so you won't likely find many on here who have personal experience of the school....but you never know.

Dear Carang,

Many thanks. Do mostly chinese families attend this school or children whose first language is not English? It seems it be impossible to get places in most schools.

What is Kowloon Tong like. We are a British family who have spent the last four years living in Dubai. Do many expats live in Kowloon Tong and will we be able to get a villa. Our monthly budget is 70k.

you shouldn't have any trouble finding something suitable within your price range for kowloon tong.

however, if you are interested in living in clearwater bay or sai kung, then i would STRONGLY suggest you look at SAI KUNG LOK YUK KINDERGARTEN. it is a local kindergarten that teaches in cantonese, but they have a lot of expat kids from all over the place. both of my kids have attended this kindergarten and LOVED it!

my daughter, although 1/2 chinese, didn't speak more than a few words of cantonese when she started. she is now finishing K2 (she's 5) and fluent in cantonese. my son, who also attended this kindergarten now studies in the chinese stream of a local school in sai kung.

expats live pretty much everywhere, just in different concentrations.

kowloon tong would have quite a few expats, but sai kung, i think would have more.

Do you have a email address or website for Sai Kung Lok Yuk?

Do you know if they take year 1 students as my eldest is five and has flourished spending the last two years in the early years of a prep school.

the thing is this: only the ESF does Yr 1 @ 5 years of age (there may be a couple of other schools around, but i am unaware of them). most schools in hk, all of the local schools and many of the international ones don't start Grade 1 or Yr 1 until the kids are 6 years old.

so, my son, who is 2005 (feb) is finishing year 1 at the local primary school.
    my daughter, 2007 (feb) is finishing K2 at the kindergarten and will be in K3 in september.

i don't have an email address for the kindergarten, but i do have their telephone number (2792 2245).

the other thing to consider with Lok Yuk, is that once you are in HK and have your HKIDs then you can apply for the pre-primary voucher and the fees are negligible. my daughter's school fees for this year were $6XX/month for full day. school day started 8-8:45 and finished 4-5:30. the 1/2 day school fees were FREE!

So both of my children could go? I will call them tomorrow. I am still hoping that we will get places at HK academy.

OP, Kowloon Tong is a very friendly expat area (lots of expat there) and one of the only city area with low rise building and houses. One of the best place to live in HK and very close to Tai Wai.

KT and Midlevel on HKI have probably the most well-known primary and secondary schools in HK if your family is here for the long haul.
    KT has got a better urban planning than Midlevels imo- roads and streets are wider. Festival Walk is just a short walk away.
    The down side would be the love-hotels and the paparazzi wandering snapping pics of local celebs or who not. Lol.

Last edited by kittyctc; 06-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.

KT - yup agree. Big concentration of schools in a small area.

Midlevels : what primary and secondary schools are you referring to? There are good schools scattered all over the island but I'm not aware of any concentration of any sort in Midlevels...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast