Like Tree2Likes

Learn Business German in Hong Kong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    What rubbish. German is a very easy language. Pronunciation follows rules, grammar follows rules, no tones, many similarities in words to English. I've found germanpod101 to be an excellent tool.
    U must be kidding, German is not easy at all, and I speak as a half french,half German. Grammar is a real bitch in German.
    chingleutsch and elle like this.

That reading tabloids will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos93:
    before you will be fluent it will takes years at least. maybe you will be retired before you can talk with your clients in german.
    Well I took it for 18 months at school (1 hour a week) and topped up with some of the germanpod101 I'm perfectly capable of holding simple conversations in German. Sufficient to ask directions when hiking, discuss the weather, bargain with shopkeepers and discuss numbers and products, ask for my size, order food in restaurants and discuss what's included or not in hotel room rates. And that's only because that's all I use it for - sure, my grammar may not be perfect but it's good enough and the rules of grammar may be many but they are very regular. I find the pronunciation to be easy - English is derived from Germanic languages so I can easily see why someone French might struggle with it, but a native English speaker? Germans do not speak excessively fast (unlike French and Italians) and do no slur one word into another which helps. It's written in the same alphabet we use, so once you learn the (very regular) pronunciation you can see a completely new word and know how to pronounce it (try that in Chinese - where you have to learn a whole new writing system before you can even understand it and even THEN you have no idea how to pronounce). Anyone sitting in China saying German is hard to learn is nuts.

1."and even THEN you have no idea how to pronounce" , you are slightly wrong, in many instances the radical indicates what it is about and the other part of the character gives some indication as t o the pronunciation, although not about the correct tone.

2."Anyone sitting in China saying German is hard to learn is nuts."

You are wrong, big time. ( but we have had this discussion in other threads before )
    a. Anyone includes native speakers of non-Germanic languages.
    e.g. Japanese, why would it be easier for a Japanese to learn German than Chinese ?
    I think it is the other way around.

Moreover, I think you have not learnt Chinese, so you don't know how difficult or easy it is compared to German. What you do know is that learning German is somewhat easy for you as it is a Germanic language which has many similarities to your native language.

In other words, you have no real experience to make a comparison.
    Schuster, bleib bei deinen Leisten.

Last edited by Morrison; 16-06-2012 at 10:25 AM.

outch. Morrisson is right.

plus chinese ~ conversation isnt that hard....barely any grammar, simple structures.....

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile

I'm a native English speaker, but will definitely side with Mat on this one. German is one heckuva lot easier to read than Chinese, and is speaking is easier to start with than Chinese, but if you are doing the language for business then the grammar will give you a LOT more grief than Chinese (which has one of the simplest grammatical structures on the planet): you get your dative and accusative mixed up, and the meaning can change enough to start WW3. And heaven help you if you confuse the preposition you ought to use in a contract with the one that sounds like the one you would use in English, or get the cluster of verbs at the end of the sentence in the wrong order ...
    Alles muss ganz genau geschrieben worden werden!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    1."and even THEN you have no idea how to pronounce" , you are slightly wrong, in many instances the radical indicates what it is about and the other part of the character gives some indication as t o the pronunciation, although not about the correct tone.

2."Anyone sitting in China saying German is hard to learn is nuts."

You are wrong, big time. ( but we have had this discussion in other threads before )
    a. Anyone includes native speakers of non-Germanic languages.
    e.g. Japanese, why would it be easier for a Japanese to learn German than Chinese ?
    I think it is the other way around.

Moreover, I think you have not learnt Chinese, so you don't know how difficult or easy it is compared to German. What you do know is that learning German is somewhat easy for you as it is a Germanic language which has many similarities to your native language.

In other words, you have no real experience to make a comparison.
    Schuster, bleib bei deinen Leisten.
    I learnt sufficient Mandarin from chinesepod.com to order food in restaurants, ask directions to stuff and handle numbers. Oh, and more important, ask for a Diet Coke. With zero formal lessons at all. And it was MUCH harder than German.

Go for Goethe Institut. They are quite good at training students' oral skills, which is important if you need German for business purposes. On top of that, they offer a good learning environment and keep you motivated, which is good.

Viel spass und viel Glueck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2