Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carang

Pre-Schools/primary Schools

Closed Thread

Pre-Schools/primary Schools

Hi Helpful people,

I need some help! We are moving out to HK in October 2012 we have a 2 year old boy!
    My question is this when do we start to put his name down for a place at primary school? I know he won't start till he is 6 but reading about the huge waiting lists is scaring me somewhat!
    We are prob going to be moving to DB area and I may poss put him in kindergarten when he's 3 (he currently goes to nursery here in the UK)
    If he gets a place at kindergarten does this secure him a place for primary school??
    Thanks in advance

You don't elaborate whether you are looking for a place in an international school or a "local" school, if the former some schools let you apply when the child is born - Kellet, German Swiss, Canadian - so in some way you are late and should be applying asap (we applied for our 15 month old a few mos ago which is 15 mos late already). FYI since priority is usually given to debenture holders, alumni, or siblings one of the few priorities available if you don't have any of these is when your application was submitted.

BTW, some schools such as Canadian accept children when they are 4 whereas most others the age cutoff is 5. Also, kindergarten does not guarantee you a spot in primary school although if it is a feeder you may get priority

Having just gone through the application process, I wish you good luck!

Thank you for the reply,
    Yes it would be an international school or ESF school.
    I don't have a clue which school we will choose as we haven't found anywhere to live as yet!
    Maybe I'll wait till we get over there as I want to make sure I like the area where we live first!!!
    I can't believe how ridiculous the school system is and how long the waiting lists are especially as your paying for the privalage!!!

ESF you cannot apply until the year before your child is supposed to attend.

as your child is still very young, you may want to try a local school and have your child become fluent in either cantonese or mandarin.

there are a few of us on here who have chosen this route and are satisfied with it. my daughter is 5 and in K2 (she is finishing her second year of kindergarten) and will be in K3 next year.

My son is in P1 and going into P2 in September. Not only is he attending a local school, but he is in the chinese class of the school (even though they have an english class) and he is doing very well. I recently spoke to his teacher regarding whether or not he should move to the english class and she seemed quite happy with his chinese and said there was no 'need' to move him but we could if we liked.

as for "the school system".... there are dozens of school systems in hk. wait lists exist because the schools are highly sought after, whether or not you are paying for them, they are popular.... hence the wait list.

emx likes this.

That's great your children enjoy the local school and doing so well.

I would defo consider putting him in a local school it would be fab if he could speak Cantonese/mandarin as well as English.

Not sure if I'm limited to schools on DB??
    Might end up moving to another area of HK before he starts school so need to consider that!!
    Eek so much to think about #stressed lol

there is one fairly good local school in db called WEI LUN. if we'd stayed in db (lived there for 6 years) we would likely have gone that route for the kids.

Thank you I will check it out when we get over there! Along with the others!!