Like Tree8Likes

Mandarin medium local schools?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mandarin medium local schools?

Hi there:

Just wondering if there's any local primary and secondary in HK that uses Mandarin rather than Cantonese as the medium of instruction?

How are they compared to Cantonese medium schools? I prefer my children to be taught with Mandarin rather than Cantonese. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by star-anise:
    Hi there:

Just wondering if there's any local primary and secondary in HK that uses Mandarin rather than Cantonese as the medium of instruction?

How are they compared to Cantonese medium schools? I prefer my children to be taught with Mandarin rather than Cantonese. Cheers
    All local schools should have classes some classes in Mandarin, so when you're kid is done with school he will know Cantonese fluently, and at least Mandarin quite well. If you'd put him in a Mandarin only school he will know only Mandarin, for which the use in Hk is much more limited. As a plus he would know two chinese languages, instead of just one. Unless you plan to emigrate soon, I do not see much use for a Mandarin only school IMHO.
    bookblogger likes this.

Of course, the "benefit" of a Mandarin-medium school would be higher doses of "national education", i.e. brainwashing:
    Hong Kong National Education: Two-Party System Makes American Suffer

Gatts, elle and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    All local schools should have classes some classes in Mandarin, so when you're kid is done with school he will know Cantonese fluently, and at least Mandarin quite well. If you'd put him in a Mandarin only school he will know only Mandarin, for which the use in Hk is much more limited. As a plus he would know two chinese languages, instead of just one. Unless you plan to emigrate soon, I do not see much use for a Mandarin only school IMHO.
    We are cantonese, so naturally Cantonese is not much of a problem for my kids as we speak it at home. I grew up in a country outside of China and went to schools that uses Mandarin as a medium of instruction. The thing with Hong Konger is that the Mandarin is still pretty poor because it is only a second language to them. I want to reap the benefits of speaking better mandarin so they can deal with the guys up North.

I guess my question is: Are there any primary and secondary schools that uses mandarin as a medium of instruction? (As far as concern about where to place them, I already have that one sorted out)

I grew up by attending schools that uses Mandarin as medium of instruction. Somehow I have not been brainwashed. Why is it so? Aren't we all been brainwashed by our country's education system anyway?
    Last edited by star-anise; 11-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Because you grew up in a different time and place?

Gatts likes this.

Perhaps... I am just happen to be a non-patriotic guy thats all

bookblogger likes this.

Mandarin schools

ISF in Cyberport and Victoria Shanghai Academy

Proudly turning out pro-Beijing kids since 1997.

dear giant and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Mandarin schools:ISF in Cyberport and Victoria Shanghai Academy
    to add to that:
    - Kiangsu Chekiang School
    - Yew Chung School

Some will consider the following to be mandarin but some wont:
    - Chinese international school
    - Singapore international school

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Proudly turning out pro-Beijing kids since 1997.
    Heard President Hu's grandson is starting ISF this coming Sep...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast