International students in Hong Kong's universities?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question International students in Hong Kong's universities?

I'm considering going to a university in HK but being an ESF kid I'm quite interested in meeting students from a range of ethnic/cultural backgrounds.
    Does anyone know what the international scene is like in HK's universities (particularly in HKUST and Chinese University of HK)?

Go abroad if you want to meet international students.

Check the "Facts and Figures" page of the universities.

Hi Tamsinquirky, everyone's already made great points like going abroad or checking the class statistics page. What programme will you be studying because some programmes have the tendency of attracting more international students although schools like CUHK make an added effort to make classes as diverse as possible. Aside from choosing a particular school, doing things like getting a part-time job, joining groups and societies, volunteering and going on trips will allow you to meet more people, and depending on how you choose they can be from a very diverse background. Good luck with choosing

Quote Originally Posted by goldenegg12:
    Hi Tamsinquirky, everyone's already made great points like going abroad or checking the class statistics page. What programme will you be studying because some programmes have the tendency of attracting more international students although schools like CUHK make an added effort to make classes as diverse as possible. Aside from choosing a particular school, doing things like getting a part-time job, joining groups and societies, volunteering and going on trips will allow you to meet more people, and depending on how you choose they can be from a very diverse background. Good luck with choosing
    Can you elaborate on "schools like CUHK make an added effort to make classes as diverse as possible"? Not trying to be a dick here, just genuinely interested. My impression is that CUHK have less international students than say CityU, but I have nothing to back this up with (didn't find any official number of international students when looking at CUHK's pages). Maybe that's the reason they want more? I always wondered if I was given special treatment in the application process because I'm Norwegian, as I barely had the average grade my program requires, and this year there were a record amount of applicants.

Also, the part-time job part might be tricky as an international student, HK is really strict when it comes to this part. For me, I would be able to work (pro-bono) for a student organization or such, but only a couple of hours a week. Etc, etc (didn't really read that part to carefully, as I'm not planning to try to get a part-time job myself).

Isn't esf international enough

CUHK MBA programme

Quote Originally Posted by Dodraugen:
    Can you elaborate on "schools like CUHK make an added effort to make classes as diverse as possible"? Not trying to be a dick here, just genuinely interested. My impression is that CUHK have less international students than say CityU, but I have nothing to back this up with (didn't find any official number of international students when looking at CUHK's pages). Maybe that's the reason they want more? I always wondered if I was given special treatment in the application process because I'm Norwegian, as I barely had the average grade my program requires, and this year there were a record amount of applicants.

Also, the part-time job part might be tricky as an international student, HK is really strict when it comes to this part. For me, I would be able to work (pro-bono) for a student organization or such, but only a couple of hours a week. Etc, etc (didn't really read that part to carefully, as I'm not planning to try to get a part-time job myself).
    I was speaking in regards to CUHK's MBA programme which has 62% international students. I got this info on the Financial times website so you can have a look for yourself. Applications are screen not only based on grades but on other factors such as your motivation for wanting to take the programme and other added value you can bring from your background, previous skills and experience.

At CUHK some of the undergraduate courses are taught in Chinese, just so you know.

From SCMP:

The annual report of the University Grants Committee, the government body responsible for funding local tertiary educational institutions, found that 8,936 of the 10,770 non-local students were from the mainland, with 1,355 from elsewhere in Asia, including Macau and Taiwan.
    The latest Times Higher Education rankings rated four Hong Kong institutions among the world's top 50 universities with a history of less than of 50 years. But at three of them - City, Chinese and Polytechnic - more than 80 per cent of non-local students were from the mainland.

The percentage of non-local students from the mainland was highest at Baptist University and the Hong Kong Institute of Education, both at 95 per cent. HKIED had just eight students from the rest of Asia and two from the rest of the world. Baptist had 10 non-Asian students and 17 from the rest of Asia.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast