Alternative to YMCA Cantonese class

Closed Thread

Alternative to YMCA Cantonese class

I tried Cantonese classes at YMCA but a bit disappoint, the teacher is not native,she used not really the common Cantonese(just an old book) and they are too many students to practice. The speed is very slow.
    Some other schools in wanchai and central seems better deal but I want weekday night class?
    any recommendations?

Not native? Seems strange.

The norwegian? But shes supposed to be good.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

cjjenks

chinese u offer courses and are supposed to be good

The British Council used to offer Cantonese courses but I cant find them on their website anymore. Perhaps they stopped it -- call and ask them. I recall they were affordable and well received.

Free weekly Cantonese - English exchange.

Try either ISS or Christian Action. They offer government-subsidised course and it's pretty good!

I went to HKLLC and HKLS at Wan Chai and both were really good. I went for 3 months to learn the structure and basics and now try and learn as i go. Watching TVB helps a bit. Still a way to go but i hope in 12 months time (I have been learning for 16 months) I can speak ok.

I tried taking courses at HKLLC and was a little frustrated with the scheduling system. Every time I tried to sign up for one of their regular 2-week, day-time courses, they didn't have enough students (except for the 4-hour a day option). So eventually I decided to just pay for one-on-one lessons, but it seems the price I paid was a "special offer" and I was given the lowest priority with the schedule. I did 5 out of my 10 hours, and now that I unexpectedly started working, I'm unavailable to finish my hours except on Saturdays. I had several days available before I started working, during which I would have liked to of finished my hours, but alas, no availability for me. So, be mindful of which "category" student you are in the financial ranking.
    As a qualified and experienced English teacher, I wasn't terribly impressed with their teaching methods (or lack their of). It was, though, very interesting for me to see the inversion of the working environment I'm used to (and seeing how tired/bored the teachers were!).
    These things aside, overall I did enjoy myself and was learning some useful things. It might help generally with language classes to come in knowing some specific things you want to learn and pushing to tailor the materials/topics to your needs.
    (I'm also still looking to continue learning, so I'll also look forward to any suggestions...)
    OH! One more thing, my partner and I started going through Pimsleur Cantonese language courses -- it's where you listen to recordings and repeat the phrases after them. I generally don't like this learning method for myself, but for a tonal language like Cantonese, it was proving useful and fun. Must continue it....