Cantonese classes on the weekend

Closed Thread

Smile Cantonese classes on the weekend

Hi

I arrived in Hong Kong recently and I'm looking for Cantonese classes that take place at the weekend.

It seems that the Chinese Language Centre at CUHK runs a class if a minimum 7 people are interested.

If you know of a class or you're interested in setting one up, please let me know.

Many thanks
    Louise

hi louise,

Are you still looking for weekend Chinese classes? I am in the same shoes as you, and am wondering if we would be able to find a few more people here and perhaps start a class at CUHK?

Keep each other posted on other places

Take care.

maggie

hmmm maybe

I may be interested. Do you have any more information/details?

Thanks
    Lena

Lightbulb Short courses

Hey guys,

I found out that YMCA is offering some weekday classes for "Cantonese Language" Here's the description:

Instruction: Cantonese and English
    In this beginner's course you will be taught through romanization, making the learning process much easier than you think. You will then have the confidence to use Cantonese in everyday life in Hong Kong. Contents include: numbers, useful daily expressions, taking taxi and minibus, describing a person, asking for phone numbers, shopping and asking for time.

I'll have to find out what days the course is offered and the prices...Interested?

maggie

CUHK won't be running a weekend class this semester due to lack of interest. They suggested I try them again in April.

Last edited by lliu; 02-01-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Cantonese classes on the weekend

I've been also trying to find Cantonese weekend classes and will keep an eye on this topic.

I have bought some Cantonese learning cds but it kinda kills motivation when Chinese friends always say that the pronounciation is crap on those cds...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rbt:
    I've been also trying to find Cantonese weekend classes and will keep an eye on this topic.

I have bought some Cantonese learning cds but it kinda kills motivation when Chinese friends always say that the pronounciation is crap on those cds...
    I don't know how bad the enunciations. I know that a lot of locals actually have a lot of "lazy tones" and are using slangs too often that they lose the "real" sound and tones of Cantonese, which is kind of sad.

I personally can't read/write Chinese all that well, but I am fluent in Cantonese. So if you'd like, maybe we can get together and find a place like YMCA to learn? Let me know via PM or email

maggie

I could also use some weekend tutoring to improve my Cantonese.
    please PM me about any weekend classes that you might come across and i will do the same.

/J