Like Tree548Likes

How do you think about the National Education?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

I think what B.E. is trying to say is that all countries want their populations to follow them otherwise they lose power. China is no different to America, England and Australia... In England I did a similar subject. This missed out the worse parts of English history too.

Oh and you don't want what B.E. is on... it's lethal.

Last edited by Matt_NT; 03-09-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: I'll too have one of what B.E. is on!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_NT:
    Oh and you don't want what B.E. is on... it's lethal.
    Well it's certainly not aspirin, hunted high and low for that today with no success. According to grunty it grows on trees here. Anyone know a specific place to buy it?

lol... I know what you mean B.E. some of the drugs here I would question their safety and am surprised no aspirin.

Just go to the doc and become a rattle! :-)

Not exactly high school, but one of the subjects I studied in Australia was...Australian Studies. It covered Australia's Federation, Australian poets (well, basically Banjo Paterson), quiet achievers (diggers, sporting heroes, etc.), indigenous people, their rights, as well as the national shame of the stolen generation.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Patriotism is why America rules the world. When you hear dumbasses saying things like, "The three primary colours are red, white and blue". Patriotism is like religion, as PDLM said. But, there's no reason to think that it's only China that does this...
    Well, as an American I will chime in here. I was born and schooled in a sprawly, leafy, very ordinary, mostly middle class suburb (with lots of relatively prosperous skilled blue collar, single-working-parent families) on the eastern seaboard, in one of the mid-Atlantic states. Like most Americans, I attended public school (i.e. government school) from preschool through high school before going off to university.

In elementary school, we weren't taught much history at all, as far as I can remember, other than bits here and there regarding holidays -- e.g. Washington's birthday, Lincoln's birthday, Thanksgiving, etc. Washington's bday was about the Revolutionary War and, to be sure, Washington and the rest of his contemporaries were cast as heroes rather than treasonous radicals. When Lincoln's birthday came round, we were given a kid-understandable lesson about his period of US history, slavery, the very ugly truth of what slavery meant in practice, and even the fact that Lincoln hadn't planned at first to emancipate the slaves or, later, to allow freed slaves to remain in the United States. For Thanksgiving, we were taught that the Pilgrims arrived in a much-depopulated North America due to European diseases and that the colonization of the USA was not great for the indigenous inhabitants. I also remember there being much criticism of the early colonists for being too stupid and too busy hunting gold, silver, and gems to sow crops, build decent housing, etc. This was in an virtually all-white school with a sprinkling of East and South Asian students and an all-white faculty.

In junior high, we got more in-depth instruction re US history and the history of the Americas, and then world history and our teachers and textbooks didn't skimp when it came to describing the shameful chapters in US history. In high school, I doubled down on math and science and the only history/civics/government class I took was one about constitutional law and that focused, as one would expect, on the flaws in the Constitution that had allowed enormous injustices to be perpetrated against large swathes of the population for generations, how the country was imperfect, how the Constitution was a work in progress, etc.

We weren't at any point using Howard Zinn's books but it was far from the sort of brainwashing to which local patriots want to subject HK's youth.

I know that the "my country right or wrong", flag-waving retards do come in American flavor but they are the exception rather than the rule and tend to come from, in my experience, the Deep South where scores on all sorts of measures of social health (education, obesity, attitudes, etc.) are worrying. The retards' leaders may hail from other parts of the country, but that's because the people working behind the scenes hope that a flag-wrapped puppet from the Northeast, Midwest, or California will be more palatable to vulnerable swing groups outside of the former Confederacy, like confused white senior citizens, white Walmart employees, etc.
    Last edited by dear giant; 03-09-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added bit about early colonists being greedy morons.
    bookblogger and MovingIn07 like this.

What is the actual purpose of 'National Education'?

To make people understand what is needed to operate in a civil society?
    To make people feel proud of being ethnically Chinese?
    To make people feel proud of being a Chinese national?
    To make people learn important dates, locations, people, events to get a sense of unity?
    To make people not question single party politics?

The ultimate goal seems clouded in slogans and jargon.

Isn't Civic education and basic Chinese history already covered in other subjects so that just leave single party/race state nationalism.

Last edited by East_coast; 03-09-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Not exactly high school, but one of the subjects I studied in Australia was...Australian Studies. It covered Australia's Federation, Australian poets (well, basically Banjo Paterson), quiet achievers (diggers, sporting heroes, etc.), indigenous people, their rights, as well as the national shame of the stolen generation.
    I guessed they'd be teaching stolen generation by now. Trying to make everyone feel guilty for something they had nothing to do with... Nothing about the national shame of the stolen commodore I suppose..

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I guessed they'd be teaching stolen generation by now. Trying to make everyone feel guilty for something they had nothing to do with......
    Would you just as soon it not be taught and just forgotten? Should today's kids be oblivious to the faults and misdeeds of the past?

What part of this education are you equating to the implication that today's kids be made to feel guilty about past misdeeds?
    bookblogger likes this.

Would you just as soon it not be taught and just forgotten? Should today's kids be oblivious to the faults and misdeeds of the past?
    No, but they should not be force fed the propaganda tale of the nasty white men stealing children in the night. There were abuses and mistakes but the fact remains, most children were removed from chronically abusive homes. Homes where parents spent most days stupefied from drink and/or physically and/or sexually abusing their children.

There is now the despicable situation of children in remote communities in Australia living in squalid conditions, subjected to all types of nastiness because social services don't even dare to rescue those children.

What part of this education are you equating to the implication that today's kids be made to feel guilty about past misdeeds?
    What part are you missing?

And who are you to impose your cultural norms on the people who were there thousands of years before you?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast