Like Tree548Likes

How do you think about the National Education?

Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    No, but they should not be force fed the propaganda tale of the nasty white men stealing children in the night. There were abuses and mistakes but the fact remains, most children were removed from chronically abusive homes. Homes where parents spent most days stupefied from drink and/or physically and/or sexually abusing their children.

There is now the despicable situation of children in remote communities in Australia living in squalid conditions, subjected to all types of nastiness because social services don't even dare to rescue those children.

What part are you missing?
    This is rare, but on this post I am 100% with Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    Eh? No I'm not! The bloody Prime Minister even stood up and apologised on behalf of the nation....what are you on about?
    And I am firmly of the view that he should NOT have done it. Those people had nothing to apologise for. They did what they thought was RIGHT based on the norms of right and wrong at that time. They were trying to do the best for the children. We only think they are "wrong" now based on a liberal view of aboriginal life - as Bryant said, a pretty large number were not wrong and probable not only saved the kids lives but also gave them a chance at a future. Sure, they lost some of their culture, honestly I don't see that as a huge price to pay for food, shelter, education and a future.

The idea of "right" and "wrong" is not static - it moves with the development of a nation. I think many things that are done in Saudi Arabia, the Yemen and Pakistan are heinous crimes - yet they are the law of the day in those countries. Perhaps in 50 years someone will apologise to the women who have been mistreated and the children jailed for burning paper etc etc.

Mat

I am very surprised to read about education in Australia, UK...

It seems the French are doing something right for once (or least used to, unsure now).

We had Civic Education (an hour a week) - which was based on our duties are citizens, the various government bodies, the institutions...

We had of course history and this covered pretty much everything from the prehistoric age to the 21st century
    Romans,
    Egyptians,
    Greeks,
    The persian/african world
    South America (probably the least bit covered) - aside from the colonisation from the spanish and the portugues
    French kings...but also british ones
    Anglo/french wars, WW1 and 2,
    Korean and Vietnam Wars,
    Colonisation by the french, brit, dutch...
    Cold War, American independance,
    French revolution.
    Funding of USSR/Russia
    China from the Empreror to Mao and 1989
    Berlin Wall..
    founding of Eastern Europe...
    Isarel..
    Prussian world
    Indians (maya...)

all was factual without much of a propaganda. and for PDLM, Vichy was well covered too.

Last edited by Mat; 04-09-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

My primary school education covered a lot about Tudors, Stuarts, Normans, Saxons and the rowdy London mob...

Funnily we learned our history written originally by a German (Maxmueller) and then "adjusted" by the congress government of the time to suit their agendas...lol..

ATV aired this video last night. I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Money? Political pressure?

Chinese version: 無恥ATV抹黑 學民思潮 - YouTube

With English subtitles (courtesy of the always excellent Badcanto): Hong Kong Propaganda TV: London and Washington Behind Anti-National Education Protest

The Chinese version has the usual "The views expressed on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of ATV", etc. shown before the actual program. But I still don't understand the purpose of airing it. Judging by the viewer response, it's not helping the cause of national education.

dear giant likes this.

Wow. Was that as weird in the chinese as it was in the translation? How could any broadcaster broadcast such blatant and ludicrous rubbish? Gob-smacked actually.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Wow. Was that as weird in the chinese as it was in the translation? How could any broadcaster broadcast such blatant and ludicrous rubbish? Gob-smacked actually.
    Welcome to the twilight zone.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    I think it was as weird in Chinese, judging by the reactions of my local friends on Facebook, where the video is making the rounds. Seems like people are being urged to file a complaint with the Communications Authority.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by megatronic
    ...file a complaint with the Communications Authority.
    Is this what they are called? I thought it was the Broadcasting Authority.

Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast