Like Tree8Likes

Cantonese tutor recommendtions -Tuen Mun area

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cantonese tutor recommendtions -Tuen Mun area

Settled nicely in HK now so am looking at taking lessons in the local lingo. I would ask the wife but she has not got the patience to teach me because I like to know why it is like that.

I would be looking for somebody who can teach beyond the basics in speaking and help me on the way with reading and writing so I can order off the cheaper menu's in cafes

Don't worry about supplying the prices as I can do some leg work myself.

Thanks in advance

ah_bemimi likes this.

Hi Matt,

Looks like we are in the same boat so if you want to share the cost of lessons i'm up for that. I'm in Siu Hong so not so far.

My Canto is zero at present so i'm not sure if we share the same start point.

Try getting the course books by Sidney lau... very comprehensive, six books in total of 400 pages each, with many exercises and explanations. Then ask your wife to help you go through them. That's what I'm doing. First book is 92 dollars from the govt book store. Theres also a glossary to go with it. I'll post a link later.

bryant.english likes this.

Go here and search for 'Cantonese.'

http://www.gov.hk/en/apps/isdbookstore.htm

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Try getting the course books by Sidney lau... very comprehensive, six books in total of 400 pages each, with many exercises and explanations. Then ask your wife to help you go through them. That's what I'm doing. First book is 92 dollars from the govt book store. Theres also a glossary to go with it. I'll post a link later.

Just a word of warning, Sydney Lau's books are defintely the best books for learning Canto in my opinion but since they were written in the late '60s I believe some sayings are a bit outdated though. For example the word for "where" (bin1dou6 邊度) in Lau's book is bin1su3 (邊處) a word most people would never use anymore.
    Last edited by Gatts; 14-09-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    justjoe86, drumbrake and Matt_NT like this.

Thanks for advice gatts. Yeah that's where the wife comes in!

The books would probably be useless by themselves since we'd need ongoing help with pronunciation and tones too.

Cheers for the information. I've heard a lot about Sydney Lau so will look up his books. I already have some books that have been useful. Like most books I have read the old way of saying things are in there as well as new Canto.

I mainly want to do a course to build up commitment to learning. I am basically the guy that works his ass off when needed (work, exams etc) but other than that likes to relax. Even a lesson or two a week would make me do extra work between lessons.

Oxygen - I'd be up for sharing lesson cost if we can find a good tutor. My level is slightly higher than basic, e.g. I can order food, ask the time/where things are, basic conversation but I just need to put into use more (confidence in speaking). Currently I understand maybe 50% more than I can correctly pronounce.

http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/ for some basic things.
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/ for some basic things.
    Looks decent. Will definitely make myself have a closer look.

Oxy - I forgot to mention that I would like to learn reading/writing as well as speaking. Not sure if your goals are similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_NT:
    Looks decent. Will definitely make myself have a closer look.

Oxy - I forgot to mention that I would like to learn reading/writing as well as speaking. Not sure if your goals are similar?
    Yep same here.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast