• 2 Post By Ariakas
  • 1 Post By bryant.english
  • 1 Post By Oxygen
  • 2 Post By Gatts

Po Leung Kuk Choi Kai Yau School

Closed Thread

Po Leung Kuk Choi Kai Yau School

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about this school?

Good teachers/staff
    School philosophy
    Results
    Do children enjoy it there
    Do staff enjoy it here

Any feedback welcomed.

I don't know about Choi Kai Yau but there are quite a few schools under the Po Leung Kuk umbrella.

In Tuen Mun, I know of http://home.yyps.edu.hk/it-school/ph...page/main.php3 and it is my third choice of primary school for my 5 year old boy. It would be my first choice if I wasn't a teacher.

We, (my wife and I), like Po Leung Kuk because it offers a bilingual curriculum, (Mandarin and English), and they more or less follow the British curriculum...

Feedback from parents:

Their kids like it and the parents feel like it's not as rigid as traditional schools. It certainly seemed a little less formal when we visited.

That's all I've got!

Oxygen likes this.

Nice BE. Thanks for the info

My kids go there.

- teachers/staff good overall, but like any school, the level varies within the school.
    - fusion of West and East teaching, they have their own curriculum in early primary yrs.
    - very good IGCSE results, yr 11 and 12 are IB, will see results this year as there is a 1st batch of yr 12 students.
    - my kids are happy, the parents I know, their kids are happy.
    - in my opinion, yes.

The school is quite new, beautiful campus, so initially not many applicants as people were worried about their teaching philosophy. Not your typical traditional school or international school. Now that good results confirm their teaching style, many applicants.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info.

bryant.english and Oxygen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariakas:
    My kids go there.

- teachers/staff good overall, but like any school, the level varies within the school.
    - fusion of West and East teaching, they have their own curriculum in early primary yrs.
    - very good IGCSE results, yr 11 and 12 are IB, will see results this year as there is a 1st batch of yr 12 students.
    - my kids are happy, the parents I know, their kids are happy.
    - in my opinion, yes.

The school is quite new, beautiful campus, so initially not many applicants as people were worried about their teaching philosophy. Not your typical traditional school or international school. Now that good results confirm their teaching style, many applicants.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info.
    That's great! I believe that a compromise between the rote rigidity of traditional and the child centred philosophy of western education is the way forward. I'm guessing the OP is thinking of working there?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:

We, (my wife and I), like Po Leung Kuk because it offers a bilingual curriculum, (Mandarin and English), and they more or less follow the British curriculum...
    Why no Cantonese??

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    That's great! I believe that a compromise between the rote rigidity of traditional and the child centred philosophy of western education is the way forward. I'm guessing the OP is thinking of working there?

Do you teach mindreading?

Yes there is a possibility of this and whilst I like what the website states it’s also nice to have that confirmed on the ground.

It’s sort of at pie in the sky stage at the moment.
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Why no Cantonese??
    It's a good question. I am British and my wife is Hong Kongese.

We decided to send our boys to local kindergarten so they would immerse in Cantonese. The idea was that we would speak English at home and they also study Mandarin.

The reality is that Cantonese has become their first language by a good mile! They are certainly better at English than other local kids but, you can certainly tell the difference against other English kids.

So, we live a more local kind of life than many expats and most of children's buddies are local kids. Actually, learning Canto. is not a problem for them. Probably, the biggest gain has been the traditional writing......how useful that will be in 20 years remains to be seen!

Still, we're very satisfied with our chosen route.

Replied above, thanks!

As for traditional, it won't go away anytime soon. There are groups even within the Communist party that wants to move away back to more traditional style characters, since simplified has proven to not have any benefits at all when compared to traditional. The logic and memory retention for traditional is way higher. Even People like Wen Jiabao for example still writes in traditional only.

Last edited by Gatts; 14-09-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    chingleutsch and z754103 like this.

If you don't mind me asking, is one of your sons named dylan?