Like Tree2Likes

Schools in Hong Kong - help!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If you're looking at a corporate relo, consider a school placement service like the one offered by ITS.

http://www.tuition.com.hk/education-consultants.htm

Not sure what the associated costs are but a fair number of corporate HR departments use them.
    Cost is app. HKD 36 000!

Quote Originally Posted by elliee:
    Not a viable option for many expats, particularly if no Cantonese is spoken at home and they don't plan on being here long term/ throughout much of the children's schooling. It can make things complicated for the kids to adjust when they are older and back home.
    I completely disagree. I would advise considering local schools even if I was here for short time! On what do you base your comments?

a brilliant voluntary organisation for all new comers to Hong Kong is the Community Advise Bureau ... contact them
    http://cab.org.hk/

Congrats if you do get to HK ... a brilliant experience ... was there for 24 years ... occasionally visit for work still ... but now based in Thailand.

I know you say you will be living on the island, so this might not be so helpful, but if you are desperate you could look into the international schools in the New Territories. The waiting lists are not quite as bad, though I am afraid it is still a problem. You could try calling the schools directly and explaining your situation. You could try: Renessaince (Ma On Shan), Japanese International School (Tai Po), Norwegian International School (Tai Po), Kingston (Kowloon Tong), Hong Lok Yuen (Hong Lok Yuen), International Christian School (Ma On Shan, I think). Some of these are smaller schools, which we quite like, but might not be for you.

Yes, the school situation is bad here but not impossible. We didn't start looking at schools until January ( for a start in August) and we got all 3 kids into the same school. Our advantage was that the kids were older ( middle school ages). I hear it is much more competitive for elementary. Like someone else mentioned, we used ITS to help us decide which schools to apply to, help us navigate all the paperwork and deadlines, assist with setting up interviews and tours. I do agree with the other posters, APPLY NOW.
    Good Luck

Hi Carang,

Which local school do you mean? I'm doing the search now as it is the season again! Thank you so much! Oh and I love in Sai Kung so that will be perfect.

Melody