Like Tree7Likes

value of degree in hk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

value of degree in hk

is education real worth it in HK or anywhere else in the wordl? is it worth getting yourself in debt?

I've went to many interviews and more than what you have, yours skills, your work, they put emphasis on your degree, it's like it's an entry ticket, like they see nothing until they see a degree from you, what's with that? it doesn't matter if you are highly skilled at what you applied for through self teaching but they would rather see your degree first.

i've seen people who are teachers or hired teachers with degrees but have terrible grammar and spelling mistakes which comes across as a shock to me since i never went to college but i know i can spell better than them, (this post not withstanding).

i'm just curious, is it a mentality in hk or all aroudn the world that when you compare between 2 indivduals what you will see first is their degree than their ability or what they offer. is it really worth getting yourself in a huge debt from a collge education and learn still nothing from college since their teaching sucks, mostly in HK anyways and i've dropped out twice after seeing how bad the teaching is and dropping thousands of dollars when I'm learnign nothing. I learned more on my own through library books than from colleges in hk.

so, please kindly explain to me why this is, is this only a state in hk or all over the world. it just infuriates me seeing all those kids going to college coming out with degrees and yet they can't spell properly or correct their grammar. i don't get it, do colleges even teach or are they there to get young people in debt?

Kindly explain to me the value of college/education and a degree.

discuss.

Well, a degree does not guarantee better grammar. We did attend 2 English courses in our first year and then we didn't need to anymore. So the difference (in terms of writing skills) between a grade 12 and a non literature related University graduate are just these 2 courses.

Um.. Since there are so many set courses unrelated to interests, I think going to University is to prove you can do things on par or better than the best in the country. Because you remember the times when the best people in your group looks up to you. When you don't get something difficult, you don't blame it on yourself because you've beaten some of the best before and not getting it means you know the rest of the people don't get it either.

You won't feel like you missed out on 'something' for the rest of your life. And because you don't feel like you missed out, you'll see yourself on par with others and are capable of believe in yourself. Not that those who had not attended college don't believe themselves, but it's easier to convince yourself that you 'can' if you never felt like you missed out on anything.

I think it also gives you a direction while you're still growing up. I didn't know what I should do by 18 years of age. Why not stick around college for several more years and figure out what you're good at?

You'll really have to get to 5th year to learn industrial crafts. Bachelors materials are still just general knowledge. You'll probably see Bachelors ask the same question as you about the worthiness of continued education.

My summarized answer to you is, going to college will give you an easier time believing in yourself.

But with the established society we currently live in, the only way (And I'm being very subjective) I can see a non post secondary graduate work out well is if they become an entrepreneur. Everything in an entrepreneur's daily life is quite practical and most daily activities have little use for Bachelor's knowledge.

Last edited by Creative83; 24-10-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    anthro likes this.

Thanks for the post. why is it hard to get work and why are employers looking at the degrees than the skills you are able to demonstrate? is this same around the world? students who've graduate with loads of debt in the US are unable to get jobs, how is getting a degree good other than giving you confidence to go head to head with other graduates or literatesS?

Well, as a start, before raw implementation of the 3-3-4 system this year, roughly 15% of high school students are able to get a placement in a hk local uni. So that would kinda put you in the top 85th percentile.

Of course there are a group of HK people who will be rich enough to send their kids overseas.

But all in all, having worked in recruitment, I find that it's more on the candidate's soft skills. the HR and line manager raw ultimately human and they want to employ or work with someone who's nice, pleasant, street smart, obedient or easy on the eyes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Unless your name is Gates, Jobs, or Zuckerberg and have demonstrated the ability to get things done, a degree is a verifiable way to judge a person's character. Put yourself in HR's shoes given two candidates with equal skills but one has a degree and one doesn't. Who would you pick?

bryant.english and elliee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ewankho:
    Put yourself in HR's shoes given two candidates with equal skills but one has a degree and one doesn't. Who would you pick?
    Right. Having a degree is one criteria (often one of the most important) used to set you apart in a huge field of potential employees. A degree (and good grades) from a respected university is an indicator (not definitive of course) of a person's ability/ potential.

OP: also remeber that a large number of professions (anything in the medical field, law, accounting, teaching, etc.) require a degree to receive your professional qualification to work or practice in your given field.

I always thought, and it may differ from one person to the next, that a degree was the necessity to help start your career. It assists you to get your foot in the door to gain the experience and knowledge that will supersede your original degree for employment potential.
    An interview is about first impressions and feeling based on short-term assumptions. A degree is tangible.

When looking at a candidate, the very least a degree will do is show to the prospective employer that the individual can commit to a minimum 3 year engagement.

elliee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by anthro:
    i've dropped out twice after seeing how bad the teaching is and dropping thousands of dollars when I'm learnign nothing.
    Well, paying to get a degree is definitely better than paying not to get a degree!
    bryant.english likes this.

From my experiences, a degree seems to be more important in Asia than in the west. People in Hong Kong and it seems Asia in general put a lot of weight into not only having a degree...but going to the right school. A MBA from Stanford or UCLA seems a lot more respected over here than in the US.

That all being said, I find in odd that very few companies actually varify that a person has a degree. There are a lot of people out there who lie on there CV and most never get caught.

Thx for the informative replies.

In multimedia or video editing or filmmaking is it the same case?

Also how much is a BTEC Higher National diploma worth? Does any uni in HK accept you to year 3 once you complete that diploma?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast