Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xvcuteowls

In search for a Montessori place to supplement my older daughter's traditional schooling

Closed Thread

In search for a Montessori place to supplement my older daughter's traditional schooling

My daughter is 4 years old and attending a local traditional kindie cos it has an elementary school and secondary affiliated with it which I would like her to grow up in. However, I also learnt recently the Montessori method and find it fascinating, does anyone know of any place I can send my daughter to after school to supplement her learning?

Not meaning to be rude here, but your kid is 4. Kids at that age should have a full time job of having fun - and attending two schools a day, every day, is not fun. Considering how much homework (yes!) that local kindies make their students do, and how much pressure these kindies put on the little kids, I honestly do not think this is the best or fairest thing that you can do to your kid.

If you want to "supplement her learning" (again, for buddha's sake, she's 4!), take her to the countryside/pools/sports grounds in your free time. Read books together. Even a trip to the local supermarket can be turned into a "learning opportunity" - but one that is fun and good for bonding.

However if you insist on putting your kid in two schools, there is loads of info on the Geobaby and GeoSchools sites. A quick google search for Montessori would also bring up some names.

Last edited by ScotchDrinker; 26-10-2012 at 07:32 PM.

most of the montessori materials are self correcting, the point being that the children can experiment and find the correct way themselves. Therefore, you could just buy / make some montessori materials and have them for your daughter to 'play' with at home.
    A big part of montessori is 'practical life' materials, which develop fine motor skills, teach independence etc etc. This is certainly something you can easily do at home, just let your child help with the housework or preparing meals, washing up, sweeping the floor etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchDrinker:
    Not meaning to be rude here,
    Sounded pretty rude and more than a bit patronising to me!

I guess it's okay for you to have a go at someone else's parenting.....you don't take it too well when it's directed at you though.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by bryant.english; 26-10-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Sounded pretty rude and more than a bit patronising to me!

I guess it's okay for you to have a go at someone else's parenting.....you don't take it too well when it's directed at you though.

Have a nice day!
    There is a difference between (i) HKIT asking me "what kind of parent I am", AND you calling me "idiotic" out right, for taking my kid to a one-off protest which was completely peaceful; and (ii) me suggesting some alternative ways to learn which would not put a kid under too much pressure or exhaust the kid too much. I hope that even you, as someone who is so determined to undermine me and call me names at every given (or ungiven) opportunity, can see the difference. I have answered the OP's question, which is something you didn't do. You joined the discussion only to have a go at me.

Anyway I am done with you and your "have a nice day"s. I do not wish to have anything more to do with your personal vendetta.

Bryant
    Oh do shut up you hippy

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchDrinker:
    There is a difference between (i) HKIT asking me "what kind of parent I am", AND you calling me "idiotic" out right, for taking my kid to a one-off protest which was completely peaceful; and (ii) me suggesting some alternative ways to learn which would not put a kid under too much pressure or exhaust the kid too much. I hope that even you, as someone who is so determined to undermine me and call me names at every given (or ungiven) opportunity, can see the difference. I have answered the OP's question, which is something you didn't do. You joined the discussion only to have a go at me.

Anyway I am done with you and your "have a nice day"s. I do not wish to have anything more to do with your personal vendetta.
    I'd prefer it if you overreacted a bit.

Thanks

Thank you for your feedback, I agree too, that local kindies already put pressure and give homework so i am not intending to put my daughter there everyday, maybe 2 times a week, and someone else had said that their kid really enjoys the Montessori school he goes to because he learns well from manipulating the materials, but I don't want to put my daughter in Montessori full time cos I am afraid that it would be hard for her to transition back to the mainstream, or is this concern valid?
    I can get her some materials at home I suppose, but I wouldn't know how to use them properly, which is why I think finding a place that can first introduce them would be ideal.

bryant.english likes this.

I believe the most important thing about an Montessori Education is the philosophy behind it rather than the materials/equipments. Why don't you do some reading about her work and her philosophy? 'Discovery of the Child' is an excellent book about her work and her ideas.