Like Tree7Likes

UCLA Econ vs UNSW Law/Commerce?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by heyguyssup:
    ... Plus, since US and HK law differs significantly, I'd be pigeonholed into American firms (and IIRC most US firms in HK are now creating HK-jurisdiction practices).

For others: let us assume that I perform equally well in both UNSW and UCLA in terms of grades and extracurriculars, and that I'm NOT going to do law as a career (in Australia, most law graduates don't end up doing law as a career and instead use the other "half" of their double degree).
    UNSW will have better links to HK companies presumably, and will let me find a job in Australia more easily. I also suspect that UNSW will have a bigger alumni network Hong Kong.
    UCLA will have a better reputation.

Which would you guys suggest?
    With a US JD in Hong Kong, you are not pidgeholed into American firms. I spent years working for a UK based firm in Hong Kong. All the big firms in HK have significant US corporate (and in many cases dispute resolution/ competition/ compliance / trade, etc.) practices that have been around for a long time and are not going away.

UCLA has a huge network in HK. I know a couple people who went to UNSW and dozens who went to UCLA in HK - but that doesn't matter. The reputation of your school will have a small impact on your job prospects. So will the alumni network (I know tons of people who have talked to alums of their respective schools, very few who have actually been offered jobs by them). More important, for those employers who care, would be the rankings of actual degree programs and the university's overall ranking. But again, as long as the school ranks high, one vs. the other won't be a deciding factor.

You really need to have a specific goal in mind - what you want to do with your life. Then focus your education on that - go to a school and take the courses that best prepare you for that. If you really don't know, then the answer is that either school is probably fine since you don't have a very specific end game. Keep your grades way up wherever you go (having a high GPA cut off for interview is often the first way big employers with formal internship programs separate resumes and determine who will get a second look). Do internships and familiarize yourself with career services at your university- spend time at your career services centre at school wherever you are and get a sense of the types of jobs your alums have been offered recently (this is quite indicitave of what will be available to you) and also what internships are available.

Also, consider where you are actually from, and where you plan to be long term (if not Hong Kong). If the US, UCLA is the obvious choice. If Australia, UNSW makes more sense. If you don't land a job in HK right away or decide to work where you are from first, it will be easier if you studied there. Also, working in Aus or the US before coming to HK is something to consider. Company training programs are generally better
    , offices are larger and there are more jobs available. Also you are exposed to a more 'mature' corporate environment before coming out here where things are HK-ish.
    Gruntfuttock and Gretina like this.

Agree with Ellie. You are going about this the wrong way. You should tailor your education to what interests you, not what will get you a job later.

Excellent advice Ellie

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Here's an example: someone I know went through undergraduate and graduate school with the full intention of becoming a doctor. After practicing for a couple of years, this person now no longer wants to practice medicine. So, was all that investment of time and money a waste? I certainly think so. It's much better to have a passion for something and use an education to develop that passion. Otherwise you may find yourself absolutely hating your job, or your life, for that matter, after working all this time to get there.

Sorry to jump into this conversation, but I got few questions that I want to ask. Have you already got accepted to the UCLA Econ program and have you look into other program such as Berkeley and Stanford? Also are you a US citizen? You might want to calculate how much you have to spend for boarding and tuition, unless you are getting a full ride from your parents.

I did my undergrad in Economic at a Cal State University and I loved all the Economic courses (at least in the undergrad level, I took one 500 level economic course and it seemed like a totally different subject) Was planning to go to USC at first but I liked the professors in my school's Economic department also I was working at the same time so I didn't want to quit my job and move closer to LA.

Anyway seems like you are getting a lot of help from here, I wish you the best of luck with your education.

Quote Originally Posted by pkan51:
    Sorry to jump into this conversation, but I got few questions that I want to ask. Have you already got accepted to the UCLA Econ program and have you look into other program such as Berkeley and Stanford? Also are you a US citizen? You might want to calculate how much you have to spend for boarding and tuition, unless you are getting a full ride from your parents.

I did my undergrad in Economic at a Cal State University and I loved all the Economic courses (at least in the undergrad level, I took one 500 level economic course and it seemed like a totally different subject) Was planning to go to USC at first but I liked the professors in my school's Economic department also I was working at the same time so I didn't want to quit my job and move closer to LA.

Anyway seems like you are getting a lot of help from here, I wish you the best of luck with your education.
    I'm an Australian citizen, thus why I'm exploring working off in Australia first. But yes, I'm in at UCLA Econ.

Again, my only concerns are career mobility as far as going back to HK goes, and a racial glass ceiling.

If money is not your concern then going to UCLA living in LA for few years can't be a bad choice. I lived in So cali for 7 years and I think it is a great place to live.

closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pkan51:
    If money is not your concern then going to UCLA living in LA for few years can't be a bad choice. I lived in So cali for 7 years and I think it is a great place to live.
    My future earnings is a concern.

Elliee and the others have given me some great advice. Any more opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by heyguyssup:
    My future earnings is a concern.
    There's more to life than money! If you have a reasonable grade from a high-ranked university in almost any subject then you will generally have little difficulty making a relatively large amount of money and living very comfortably compared to the vast majority of people. But that money in itself won't make you happy (the happiest people I know are generally the poorest in fact).

What you need to work out (and I understand that this is difficult at your age - I certainly had no clue) is what will make you happy. If your answer is money (and that's the only answer you can come up with) then I think you have some more fundamental issues to deal with than whether UNSW is better than UCLA.