Like Tree51Likes

GSIS vs CIS vs HKIS

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

How can a school have a religion? Only people can have beliefs.

snoopytshirt likes this.

I dunno, how does a corporation have legal human rights? Strange things happen.

I graduated from HKIS
    I would not send my kids to HKIS

I'll second that. I have never seen brats like those dduring my time there. And obviously I didn't fit in too well. Too bad my parents didn't think that was a problem at all.

HKIS is a big school with all the advantages and disadvantages... More programs, more classes, more trips, more sports but also a lot more problems... Still probably the best school in terms of preparation if one wants to study in the US.

Probably easier to integrate for foreign kids, it has a more diverse population than most others apart from the ESF Island schools

I would try GSIS.

What's a DH btw?

Quote Originally Posted by creamy338:
    What's a DH btw?
    Domestic Helper.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    PDLM : Several people here, including myself are proud products of missionary schools. Not all that bad as you make it out to be ...
    agreed. I will also defend the missionary position.

Donnialda likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga:
    meowmeowjo

I have given you more details on the PM.

Shout if you have more questions or I can put you in touch with my wife who can give you the gory details.
    Hi Katanga,

Would you please PM me with GSIS interview process with appreciated.

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowjo:
    GSIS:
    Good: Discipline + Good english
    Bad: weak in chinese + no IB

CIS:
    Good: Good English + good Chinese and use traditional chinese + IB
    Bad: Less Discipline

HKIS
    Good: Good English + IB
    Bad: Less Discipline + weak in chinese and use simplified chinese

any thought?

How about interview process? can the child prepare for interview, like taking somekind of course?

thanks for the comment.
    Jo
    Hi, I am here to clarify a few facts about HKIS. HKIS is the only recognized American school in Hong Kong. It is impossible that HKIS is teaching IB courses since that is a UK thing. Instead, HKIS uses the AP (Advanced Placement exams from the U.S. collegeboard) system so that their students are better prepared for the American Colleges when they graduate.
    It is also not true that HKIS teaches simplified chinese. Only the lower-leveled chinese classes teaches simplified chinese because its easier. In fact, at least 70% of the chinese classes in HKIS teaches in Traditional Chinese.
    Who was the ignorant brat who said HKIS was a missionary institute? HKIS students are free to explore various religions. All students are required to choose to take at least one out of around twenty religion courses each year, and I would say at least 10 of them have got nothing to deal with Christianity. (E.g. World Religions which include Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism).
    It is true that HKIS is a Christian school, that most school gatherings include some sort of Christian element. But as I said, HKIS is the only real American School in Hong Kong. America is the country of freedom where its citizens are free to choose their own believes, yet Barrack Obama's inaugration speech was Christian oriented, would you say America is an missionary country?
    Both the staff and student body of HKIS are among the best ones you can ever find in any school. To compare HKIS and schools such as CIS and GSIS is like putting Manchester United and a high school soccer varsity team in the same league. Ignorant people should research more on a school before they make such assuming comments.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast