Like Tree51Likes

GSIS vs CIS vs HKIS

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

...and lets face it neither are the local schools in HK. don't we read about the drug problems in the local schools across a wide range of age groups and both girls and boys ?

Quote Originally Posted by mhc208:
    Hi, I am here to clarify a few facts about HKIS. HKIS is the only recognized American school in Hong Kong. It is impossible that HKIS is teaching IB courses since that is a UK thing. Instead, HKIS uses the AP (Advanced Placement exams from the U.S. collegeboard) system so that their students are better prepared for the American Colleges when they graduate.
    Upon even a small bit of research, I found that American International School in Kowloon Tong also offers the US-based curriculum including AP courses. Students there seem to not have any problems getting accepted by American universities. As it caters to Locals, Korean, and Japanese students seeking a US education, there are far fewer discipline problems than the ex-pat children of HKIS.
    All students are required to choose to take at least one out of around twenty religion courses each year,
    This statement here seems to negate yours above. It is NOT a part of American public school curriculum to include any study of any religion whatsoever until the Liberal Arts years of college. So it seems true, per your information, that HKIS does indeed take liberties with the American curriculum.

Both the staff and student body of HKIS are among the best ones you can ever find in any school.
    Yes, we'd expect you to say this.
    Alas, folks, with all the very helpful information provided by this HKIS supporter, note the lack of response to the 'spoiled' accusations. sigh.... adolescents and teens go through quite enough. Why send them to West Beverly High? :cool:

Hi, I am here to clarify a few facts about HKIS. HKIS is the only recognized American school in Hong Kong. It is impossible that HKIS is teaching IB courses since that is a UK thing. Instead, HKIS uses the AP (Advanced Placement exams from the U.S. collegeboard) system so that their students are better prepared for the American Colleges when they graduate.
    Upon even a small bit of research, I found that American International School in Kowloon Tong also offers the US-based curriculum including AP courses. Students there seem to not have any problems getting accepted by American universities. As it caters to Locals, Korean, and Japanese students seeking a US education, there are far fewer discipline problems than the ex-pat children of HKIS.
    All students are required to choose to take at least one out of around twenty religion courses each year,
    This statement here seems to negate yours above. It is NOT a part of American public school curriculum to include any study of any religion whatsoever until the Liberal Arts years of college. So it seems true, per your information, that HKIS does indeed take liberties with the American curriculum.

Both the staff and student body of HKIS are among the best ones you can ever find in any school.
    Yes, we'd expect you to say this.
    Alas, folks, with all the very helpful information provided by this HKIS supporter, note the lack of response to the 'spoiled' accusations. sigh.... adolescents and teens go through quite enough. Why send them to West Beverly High? :cool:

"Rich and Spoiled." That is what we are labeled as being HKIS graduates. We may be rich, but we are absolutely not spoiled. We are usually driven to school because of our school's localtion. As I said, please do some fuc-king research before commenting on a school. Our school is localed near the Tai Tam resourvoir. For a student like me, it would take me two goddamn hours to get there if I wasn't driven by a driver.
    Ah yes, ever the honorable example of a top notch youngster.

Good job, kid, you really convinced us that HKIS children are just as respectable. Nice language on a public forum, communicating with adults.

Glad he can spell "reservoir" too. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    You're going to find kids that use drugs at virtually any international school in HK--at least that was the case when I was in my teens! The ESF schools were definitely no exception.

You are absolutely right but there are places that are worse than others. Just by virtue of numbers, HKIS seems to have more of a problem though perhaps not by percentage of student population.

Anyway, it's impossible to know an exact number since it's not something most students will admit too often in the presence of adults and it's sometimes something they might brag about with peers but not actually be engaged in it.

Yup. In my experience, Island School was #1 for drug use back in the mid-to-late 90s. Things might well have changed, however. HKIS kids tend to have more money to spend, however, which could be a factor. I went to a HKIS dance at the Island Shangri-La back in '00, which was much nicer than the one us SIS kids had (I can't even remember where ours was)!

Did anybody hear about YCIS? any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by mixed coffee:
    Did anybody hear about YCIS? any opinions?
    Is this a joke? Is anyone else sick of these abbreviations? HKI/FIS/CIS/YCIS/GSIS/ None of them are perfect thats for sure.

Depends on the teacher you get that year!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast