Like Tree51Likes

GSIS vs CIS vs HKIS

Reply
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowjo:
    GSIS:
    Good: Discipline + Good english
    Bad: weak in chinese + no IB

    CIS:
    Good: Good English + good Chinese and use traditional chinese + IB
    Bad: Less Discipline

    HKIS
    Good: Good English + IB
    Bad: Less Discipline + weak in chinese and use simplified chinese

    any thought?

    How about interview process? can the child prepare for interview, like taking somekind of course?

    thanks for the comment.
    Jo

    I think it's a positive that GSIS does not do IB "at the moment"...when you hear of the problems the other schools are facing as a result of it. Who wants a "school certificate" if you don't get your IB.
    GSIS gets wonderful A'level results and more than their fair share of Medical and law students at University...the proof is there...they nurture their students and get the results.
    Sadly their parents too have been lured by expensive advertising campaign of IB and are changing to IB in 2 years time - when other schools would prefer to turn back!!!
    shri likes this.

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    40,250

    >> I think it's a positive that GSIS does not do IB "at the moment"

    IB, when done well is a very good program. When done half heartedly is a horrible, horrible experience for everyone including parents who are left all confused. Sadly some schools in Hong Kong have ignored many of the fundamentals of IB based education - but surprisingly still pass the IB audits.

    Leads me to question if the IB audits are done by the same people who do ISO 9000 certification.

    ThatOneGuy likes this.

  3. #83

    Shri, I did the IB myself and I absolutely loved it, so was keen to put our kid through the IB system as well. Would you be willing to share with us which institutions do the IB "horribly"?


  4. #84

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    4,875

    Scotch where did you do the ib? The ib inspectors were in HK recently and they were impressed with Victoria shanghai academy. They even said other HK schools can learn from them.


  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Scotch where did you do the ib? The ib inspectors were in HK recently and they were impressed with Victoria shanghai academy. They even said other HK schools can learn from them.
    Didn't do my IB in Hong Kong, hence haven't got a clue how well (or not) it's taught here! Maybe I'll have a private chat with you...

  6. #86

    CIS

    I find CIS is a great school, but unfortunately there have been instances where students have shown incredible rudeness toward teachers. Just last week, a senior wrote a poem attacking a senior administrator in the most insulting terms, sending it to the whole school. At the boarding school my older kid goes to, the student would have most definitely been expelled. CIS seems to be much more lenient when it comes to these things, so sadly this behavior may be tolerated and seen to be acceptable.


  7. #87

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tung Chung, Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Scotch where did you do the ib? The ib inspectors were in HK recently and they were impressed with Victoria shanghai academy. They even said other HK schools can learn from them.

    Is there a link you can point to for this?

  8. #88

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by HKMom123:
    I find CIS is a great school, but unfortunately there have been instances where students have shown incredible rudeness toward teachers. Just last week, a senior wrote a poem attacking a senior administrator in the most insulting terms, sending it to the whole school. At the boarding school my older kid goes to, the student would have most definitely been expelled. CIS seems to be much more lenient when it comes to these things, so sadly this behavior may be tolerated and seen to be acceptable.
    Really, news to me. CIS has taken a beating lately in the media. Too many different agendas and egos being bruised.

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda:
    OLd thread but answering that one school is above all is clearly nonsense. There are no schools in Hong Kong (or anywhere else in the world) that guarantee university (or any other) success in life. I have heard many negative comments about HKIS regarding drugs (for example) and poor discipline (expat brat syndrome) GSIS is pretty academic (you may not necessarily get a place ) and CIS I have heard is better for those who have an artistic interest. I would not send my child to HKIS.
    Hi,
    I am a current HKIS student and I absolutely love the school. Staff and teachers are excellent! I don't appreciate you labeling all HKIS students "brats" or "spoiled"

    I would like to kindly suggest you do more research before trashing a whole school.

    Thanks
    ThatOneGuy likes this.

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by hi,:
    Hi,
    I am a current HKIS student and I absolutely love the school. Staff and teachers are excellent! I don't appreciate you labeling all HKIS students "brats" or "spoiled"

    I would like to kindly suggest you do more research before trashing a whole school.

    Thanks
    the fact that you go all the way to search for it and then post about it tells me you are probably working for that school. Most of the HKIS kids I met or work with are spoilt brats. And yes a lot of druggies too! Just look at Skibs lol, they think they're tough as fuck but live in Pok Fu Lam lol

Reply
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast