PGDE FROM HKG UNI

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question PGDE FROM HKG UNI

hi!! I have applied for a FT PGDE at the HK Uni, major in English. I have been called for a subject test and was wondering if anyone has given this entrance exam and interview before? how can i prepare myself?
    Also does anyone know if the immersion programme to Australia is compulsory???Is it possible to be exempted and do it in Hongkong?
    Would really appreciate a response and some info...

Last edited by BALLERINAANGEL; 09-01-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Im in the PT program, and when i had questions like these, i Called the pgde office and asked. Its not advisable to base a full time schooling decision on the opinions of those here, as each case may vary. They told me right away what I needed to know, and i found the rules are more lax than the stated rules. Your test this Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by BALLERINAANGEL:
    I have been called for a subject test and was wondering if anyone has given this entrance exam and interview before? how can i prepare myself?
    Info from years ago but re PT (English Major) prog, if you're a native-English speaker or if your Eng - written and reading, as well as spoken - is of 'above average', the entrance test is easy.

Several dozen multiple-choice questions to answer within specified time, by blacking out wee ovals on separate cards, i.e. heads down... in lecture hall setting. Plus, on another date/time, group interaction (4-5 candidates) and speaking: discussing, critical thinking... a teeny bit of debating how to solve problems re teaching-learning, a current social issue, or appreciation of a lit passage; afterwards, 'examiner' takes you one by one to another room to listen to/watch how you read poetry and an excerpt from a novel, or such like (of which you've been given 10 or so mins when you first turn up at their door to see, ahead of time). Recall also being asked how one could interest young ESL or EFL learners with same text/topic. See something in different ways, relating to them, as well as in their own way.

Also does anyone know if the immersion programme to Australia is compulsory???Is it possible to be exempted and do it in Hongkong?
    Re FT prog: Depends on the individual... his/her background, upbringing (and little to do with one's ethnicity nor 'mother tongue'). As AsiaJason said, rules there aren't as tough as first stipulated... Discuss.

BTW, they could have changed their methods by now.

Good luck.
    Last edited by emmie; 09-01-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks Jason and Emmie. I do have the test this Saturday . Thanks for all the info . I will also call the office and find out a little bit more . Keeping my fingers crossed . I was a bit concerned about the 8 weeks in Australia as i have 2 very young kids. I am going to take it a step at a time.

Thanks again

Great Info Emmie, thanks for all that. I'll be in the test this weekend so that helps me know.

Do you know about the interview? They say that some will be invited back for an interview the following weekend, which for me is a problem. That weekend is a big job fair in Hong Kong from Search Associates, and will be 2 days full of interviews for schools - which is a bit more important I imagine than an interview for the PGDE...

Emmie's info is perhaps a tiny weeny bit out of date. There is no poetry reading, these days. Nor, indeed, is there very much in the way of group discussion. At least, not on things like social issues.

The first part - the paper sat in the lecture theatre - is probably much the same as it was before. Besides a multiple-guess section there is also a grammar correction-type section wherein you need to be able to describe (using appropriate meta language) what's wrong with a passage. The paper is (these days, at least) designed in a very similar way to the LPAT.

Passing this paper isn't enough. HKU gets many more applicants than it has places to offer, so there's an interview/group interaction stage. This begins with another error identification and explanation task. Once finished, the candidates are quizzed on the paper and on their understanding of the errors. They are further quizzed on how they would teach certain ideas or parts of grammar, or how they would address such errors if they were to come across them in a real school situation. Candidates should also expect to be asked to expand upon their background and their motivations for joining the course. There isn't a huge amount of actual group interaction, these days, though of course this will depend to some extent on the individual examiner.

Thanks M khan.. I got a email from them saying the last half hour would be error analysis. This is the part i am a bit worried about. IS THIS THE PART WHERE WE WOULD NEED TO CORRECT THE SENTENCE AND GIVE GRAMMATICAL REASONS WHY IT IS INCORRECT?

Yes, error analysis is indeed where you have to spot the mistakes and explain why they're wrong. You don't necessarily need to know all the technical terms, though you should be able to demonstrate clearly that you have a sound understanding of grammar and of common errors.

This is considered important because these things will not be taught as part of the PDGE and the university needs to be confident that applicants are sufficiently capable in this regard before admitting them to the course.

M Khan - I was there on Saturday and took it. The last part was indeed error analysis, but they fill in all the blanks for you, so you don't even have to identify what is wrong. What you do fill in is the actual grammar technical terms! that was the hardest part.

Yes, you're right. I was confusing the initial sifting exercise with the later small group task. The later task, to which you are invited if you are successful in the first phase, will begin with the identification and explanation of errors from a short text. The errors should just jump out at you; they're not particularly tricky and overall the task is not really much more challenging than the earlier task. The paper for the later task will be collected, but won't be marked. The marks come from your discussion of the errors that follows.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast