CityU or PolyU

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CityU or PolyU

Hello guys!

I am a Muslim student from Iraq, planning to finish up my degree in civil engineering in Hong Kong.I was offered a very generous offer from CityU and I am tempted to accept it. However, PolyU requested an interview so I don't know which one should I go for. Which is better? I mentioned where I'm from and religion so you would have a better idea when you advise me. I am very much leaning to CityU, is it good? Is PolyU better? I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Are coming as a post grad student or research staff?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks Mobile

As an undergraduate. My bad for not mentioning that.

"finish up my degree"? Do you mean you will get credit transfers and just study for a year or so? The normal undergraduate degree in Hong Kong is now 4 years.

Most undergraduates (95%+?) will be local or Mainland Chinese. That's the same in CityU or PolyU. Engineering students do not have the best language skills, so expect a lot of Cantonese and Mandarin to be spoken, even though the degree is officially taught in English.

Hong Kong is an expensive place to live and study. If the offer from CityU is going to help you with living costs and fees, then that would be a major factor in my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    "finish up my degree"? Do you mean you will get credit transfers and just study for a year or so? The normal undergraduate degree in Hong Kong is now 4 years.

Most undergraduates (95%+?) will be local or Mainland Chinese. That's the same in CityU or PolyU. Engineering students do not have the best language skills, so expect a lot of Cantonese and Mandarin to be spoken, even though the degree is officially taught in English.

Hong Kong is an expensive place to live and study. If the offer from CityU is going to help you with living costs and fees, then that would be a major factor in my decision.
    Well I got advanced placement and so the degree is due to finish in 3 years rather than 4. Hmm, but in terms of reputation and quality, which is better? And yeah I checked the living costs, that's why I'm leaning to CityU.

What about food for Muslims, is it available in HK?

Halaal food is scarce inside the cityu n polyu campus.. Cityu introduced boxed halaal food that can be pre ordered, but not sure if its still available.. Only HKU has halaal canteen. You shud either cook or eat at the restaurants ...

PolyU civil engineering degree is more recognised among locals.. But considering the univ rankings, cityu ranks higher...The student dorm cityu is huge n has better facilities than Polyu..

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Halaal food is scarce inside the cityu n polyu campus.. Cityu introduced boxed halaal food that can be pre ordered, but not sure if its still available.. Only HKU has halaal canteen. You shud either cook or eat at the restaurants ...

PolyU civil engineering degree is more recognised among locals.. But considering the univ rankings, cityu ranks higher...The student dorm cityu is huge n has better facilities than Polyu..

Thanks for the info! do you study in any of those btw? So I think CityU isn't that bad aye?

I graduated from CityU.. .. CityU n PolyU is more or less the same for a non local.Both univ ranks very close in civil engineering.. Cityu ranks better in electronics and materials, while polyu is better in industrial engineering... You shud choose the one who offers u better scholarships and living subsidy..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wuzzzup:
    Hello guys!

I am a Muslim student from Iraq, planning to finish up my degree in civil engineering in Hong Kong.I was offered a very generous offer from CityU and I am tempted to accept it. However, PolyU requested an interview so I don't know which one should I go for. Which is better? I mentioned where I'm from and religion so you would have a better idea when you advise me. I am very much leaning to CityU, is it good? Is PolyU better? I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
    I am curious why you would identify yourself as a "Muslim student from iraq." What difference would that make?

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    I am curious why you would identify yourself as a "Muslim student from iraq." What difference would that make?
    No difference actually. Religion was stated just to let those who want to advise me know that I would appreciate information about Halal food and the nationality was mentioned so that they could advise me about which place is more internationally orientated. I identify myself as Iraqi, details were given to make it easier for people to inform me here.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast