Like Tree20Likes

Australian teacher banned

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Australian teacher banned

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...ng-kong-campus

An Australian teacher facing child sex charges in the Philippines was barred from a Hong Kong school in 2010 over allegations of inappropriate behaviour toward former students, the Sunday Morning Post has learned.
    if he was barred in 2010, how did he continue being a "teacher"?

Quote Originally Posted by USA40-40:
    if he was barred in 2010, how did he continue being a "teacher"?
    Same way a doctor gets suspended in Hong Kong then moves to Singapore and continues being a "doctor"

When I came to HK I came armed with my Enhanced CRB (criminal record checks) from the UK as well as my record checks from Denmark and Sweden....never been asked for them even offered them a couple of times...

TBH, I'm not sure how useful they are anyway.

It's only good for HK convictions.

In England it's really strict. I was a volunteer teacher and I needed an 'Enhanced CRB' and my 'Police Certificates' from Denmark and Sweden.

I think it was countries I'd lived in during the previous 7 years, might have even been 10...

Even in the UK it's problematic because many countries don't issue such certificates. Not sure if it's changed but CRB had to issue certificates for peeps. from certain countries based on their own statements that they had no convictions!!

Heard of a few cases where people weren't offered jobs because of relatively minor and irrelevant convictions committed in their youth where others were unearthed to have particularly dodgy pasts in North Africa...

I used to work in social housing and we were supposed to actively involve and recruit current and former 'service users'.....most had criminal histories and many had extensive criminal histories!!! Dumbass lefties tying themselves up in knots as usual...

HK seems to be using some common sense regarding the scope of the conviction check...

Hey, the current Ims principal was dismissed at an Australian school for inappropriate behavior. Last time I checked, she was still under investigation.

Yes, INXS, the UK one does look back 7 years whatever country but I am not sure how thorough the overseas checks are in reality. You do know your CRB is only valid for the one job at one location? They are changing the system but I know one bloke who owns two nursing homes and had to have separate CRB checks for both!

You do know your CRB is only valid for the one job at one location?
    I don't care. I think it's absurd that it's only valid for one location. In Denmark, you walk into the police station without an appointment and give the officer at the desk your ID. He walks over to the computer and prints out your record. No charge.
    kmn911 likes this.

A UK crb check only covers the UK. UK police have links with police in some other countries, so in certain circumstances they can ask their counterparts for information - but this wouldn't be done for just a job application.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    A UK crb check only covers the UK. UK police have links with police in some other countries, so in certain circumstances they can ask their counterparts for information - but this wouldn't be done for just a job application.
    I am sure you are right but they do pretend to go back 7 years and in other countries. The fact that you get the certificate in a matter of days does rather make that impossible.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast