Like Tree1Likes

Homeschooling in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Homeschooling in HK

I understand that it is illegal to homeschool in HK. Does anyone know how to find out more information about the definition of "homeschool" - for example, does enrollment in an online school count as school, can you use a private tutor, etc.

Thanks

Homeschooling in HK

Hi there, this is the online group for homeschoolers in HK:
    The Hong Kong Homeschool Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup.com

If you join that, I"m sure they can answer your questions. Bottom line seems to be that they turn a blind eye to some extent when it's expats..

It's pretty easy, anything not recognised by the Hong Kong government as a school.

Apart from Open University, which technically isn't a school either, I don't think there aren't any online schools.

Actually Mr Moo, there are some countries which offer online/correspondance courses for the whole school curriculum. For example, a lot of French people living in countries where there aren't any French schools supplement their children's education with the state-run CNED system. You download the classes and send in your homework every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Momto5:
    I understand that it is illegal to homeschool in HK. Does anyone know how to find out more information about the definition of "homeschool" - for example, does enrollment in an online school count as school, can you use a private tutor, etc.

Thanks
    I'm not doubting this from a factual point, but [I]how[I] can this be illegal?? Surely parents should have the right to home school their child so long is that is what is taking place, rather than blatent truancy. Oh wait, I see the problem here, 'rights', 'choice'...ah

Friday again - yay!

You could try contacting this association:

Homeschooling International Group of Hong Kong, GPO Box 12114, Central, Hong Kong, China, kory-at-homeschoolinghk.com,

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    but [I]how[I] can this be illegal?? Surely parents should have the right to home school their child so long is that is what is taking place, rather than blatent truancy.
    Parent's don't have a right to harm their child's education. The protection is there to protect against the extremes of abuse typical of religious fundamentalists, see the popularity of intelligent design as an example in the US.

Thanks for the link, ontheroad. There are lots of online schools in the US, some with more oversight than others. Several online schools are actually run by the government as a form of public school.

MrMoo, I'm not arguing with you but in the US it is legal to homeschool in each of the 50 states. Each state sets accountability standards for the students and parents. Homeschoolers in the US are a widely diverse group, some homeschool for religious reasons, some homeschoolers lean far to the left, and there are others in between. Many families have found that homeschooling works for their family for a variety of reasons.

Vrindavan likes this.

British Columbia Homeschooling - A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling in Canada

Momto5 is right Mr Moo. Check out that site and you will see home schooling in BC is mainstream and not for whackos.

I was skeptical but gained this insight from a public school principal who argues that the public system has to do a better job to ensure kids safety and quality of teaching or more and better educated parents will choose this other option.

No matter what question I raised - how do they get ready for university, socialization with other kids, field trips, etc - they have answers for all of that. I used math and physics and they have tutors in small groups for that stuff - I changed my view.

My son's wife has considered this too as she is a stay at home mom so he has done a lot of research.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast