Like Tree19Likes

Tesol Hong kong Sheung wan

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by baini:
    My concern is, I want to do the course which starts after a week.I believe they give you a starter pack and be familiar with it before you come to the class.I'm not sure these few days are enough to go through the pack.
    If you know it all already it's fine. If you don't, a few days isn't enough to learn it

My concern is, I want to do the course which starts after a week.I believe they give you a starter pack and be familiar with it before you come to the class.I'm not sure these few days are enough to go through the pack.
    I've done the full-time course in January. First of all, the course is hard, but very rewarding at the same time. In our group were three non-native speakers (me being one of them), and one of them came out top of the class in the language awareness test (i.e. grammar) as the 'Grammar Queen', one native speaker failed the grammar exam. If you think the starter pack is hard, think again - by the end of the course you need to know all those things by heart. On day one there is a Starter Pack Test - this test is only done to make you aware of the areas to work on.
    Asking others for their notes is not going to help you, you'll be graded on your teaching practice (you have to teach eight lessons, lesson topics will be given to you, often you have to create your own material) language awareness, a profile of one learner (you can choose that person) and several other tasks (guided observation, peer observation, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Personally I would be rather suspicious of a company that apparently hasn't updated its website for over 7 years!

Edit: sorry - they did upload a new corporate brochure in 2010...
    You will find that English for Asia is the Hong Kong course provider of Trinity College London. At the end of each course Trinity sends a moderator - the moderator has the last word on who passes and who needs a referral (i.e. has to do part of the course again in order to pass).

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    I've done the full-time course in January. First of all, the course is hard, but very rewarding at the same time. In our group were three non-native speakers (me being one of them), and one of them came out top of the class in the language awareness test (i.e. grammar) as the 'Grammar Queen', one native speaker failed the grammar exam. If you think the starter pack is hard, think again - by the end of the course you need to know all those things by heart. On day one there is a Starter Pack Test - this test is only done to make you aware of the areas to work on.
    Asking others for their notes is not going to help you, you'll be graded on your teaching practice (you have to teach eight lessons, lesson topics will be given to you, often you have to create your own material) language awareness, a profile of one learner (you can choose that person) and several other tasks (guided observation, peer observation, etc.).
    elle, I never realised that you're not a native English speaker. As a (trying to reform) grammar nazi, I'm IMPRESSED!!
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    elle, I never realised that you're not a native English speaker. As a (trying to reform) grammar nazi, I'm IMPRESSED!!
    Gruntfuttock will probably argue with you about this (btw, I was the grammar queen I mentioned in my earlier post )
    I'm a native German speaker, English is my second language and I am fairly fluent nowadays in Putonghua - my German is a bit rusty though.
    What really bugs me at times is, native English speakers criticizing or ridiculing non-native English speaker's English. It doesn't help them, it just makes them feel bad. If they need advice, they will ask. I had Mr Elle correcting my English for many years, but I asked him to do so. For years my biggest mistake was to modify a verb with an adjective instead of an adverb - this is how it is done in German. I mastered pronouncing the 'th' without problems, the 'w' is still an issue though - Mr Elle still points that out from time to time.

Hi , I'm currently living in Hong Kong and I have already passed the per-interview task. I have another interview coming up soon but before that just needed some info on the course .
    Btw, the upcoming interview includes:
    1. You writing a short essay
    2. Them checking out your language awareness - so you better make sure you are aware of your shortcomings and start working on improving them.

Btw, the upcoming interview includes:
    1. You writing a short essay
    2. Them checking out your language awareness - so you better make sure you are aware of your shortcomings and start working on improving them.
    Thank you Elle ! You've a been a great help. I'm willing to work hard although I will be taking a part time course which is less intensive than a full time.I want to pass with a distinction .Hope I won't disappoint myself .

Your teaching practice makes up almost of your total grade, 15% is the Language Awareness exam and 15% is the Learner Profile.

Gruntfuttock will probably argue with you about this (btw, I was the grammar queen I mentioned in my earlier post )
    I'm a native German speaker, English is my second language and I am fairly fluent nowadays in Putonghua - my German is a bit rusty though.
    What really bugs me at times is, native English speakers criticizing or ridiculing non-native English speaker's English. It doesn't help them, it just makes them feel bad. If they need advice, they will ask. I had Mr Elle correcting my English for many years, but I asked him to do so. For years my biggest mistake was to modify a verb with an adjective instead of an adverb - this is how it is done in German. I mastered pronouncing the 'th' without problems, the 'w' is still an issue though - Mr Elle still points that out from time to time.
    If it makes you feel any better, a Norwegian friend of mine used to try to correct my English. If I didn't like him so much, I would have killed him!

Your teaching practice makes up almost of your total grade, 15% is the Language Awareness exam and 15% is the Learner Profile.
    Thanks Elle ! There are so many things I'm still not sure of but as we progress I think will become more familiar with it. Getting jitters just by thinking about it at times because I have no teaching background.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast