Like Tree5Likes

HKIS vs IMS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HKIS vs IMS

Hello All,

My family is contemplating a move to HK and we just found out we got into International Montessori School (IMS) and Hong Kong International School (HKIS). We also got wait listed at the Canadian International School. My child is 6. Does anyone have any thoughts on which school we should take? Should we hold out for CDNIS? Thanks for your help.

Those are three schools with very different philosophies and curricula. Your experience with each will be VERY different and I'm sure the responses you get will be fairly conflicting. Familiarise yourself with the IB PYP and Montessori methods. HKIS has a strong Lutheran influence with regular chapel and religious classes (some may say indoctrination…) so take that into account as to how it aligns with your personal beliefs…I've taught at HKIS and CDNIS, my wife teaches at CDNIS and my daughter attends there (6yo as well) so I am biased toward CDNIS . Very family focused with loads of parent involvement in the school via CISPA (PTA)…and a really relaxed atmosphere…

HOWEVER…the current head of school, who is a legend there among staff and students, is leaving and a new Head is coming in for Sept…time will tell how things shake out...

^ Edit: should have written 'Aug.' and not 'Sept.'...

CDNIS turned down my kid (Canadian citizen) so I am biased towards CDNIS the other way. I've always thought Canadians should have an inside track.

hey canuck, do you know why dave is leaving?

I would accept HKIS. It's a good school and fairly academic. CDNIS, there are lots of kids on the waitlist and they are fairly selective and want kids who perform well on the assessment test.

IMS what is the deal with this school? They are definitely loosing the Tin Hau campus and everyone has to move to Stanley. Are they adding new classes? Can they accommodate everyone?

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    hey canuck, do you know why dave is leaving?
    Not really. Personal decision which he has maintained as such. No point in speculating (enough of that in the Malaysia Air thread already lol).

@ TLP: I agree that Canadians SHOULD have some level of priority (and I THINK this is stated in the admission criteria, along with siblings in the school etc…) Part of the problem (if you want to call it that) is the huge number of locals who have acquired CDN citizenship pre '97…their kids fill the school now…

@ OP: JasFamily may be right…if you have acceptance from HKIS, you might want to go for it (if the whole religion-in-school thing doesn't bother you)…the wait at CDNIS for a spot could take a while…HKIS has an excellent staff and learning atmosphere.
    Last edited by anothercanuck; 13-03-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    rani likes this.

IMS was in the paper this weekend. They managed to get the landlord to extend their lease for another 2 years.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...tin-hau-school

>> if the whole religion-in-school thing doesn't bother you

Is it overt and intrusive? Have not had any of our friends complain about it (and the group of people we know going there is very multi-cultural / religious etc).

One thing I liked about HKIS was the 360 review process. They do have a process for getting rid of low end performers on their payroll. In many schools (ESF is one we're familiar with) they waste their time away until they hit retirement age or get promoted to a suitable level where their incompetence is not an issue.

kimwy66 likes this.

One thing, I'm not very keen on IMS due to their relative lack of experience, compared to HKIS or CDNIS. Seems like they're a bunch of extremely well intentioned parents / administrators, but bumbling their way through various processes and throwing hissy fits when things don't go their way.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast