teaching english as NET in hk

Closed Thread

teaching english as NET in hk

Im planning to move to hong kong to teach english sometime in the next 2-3 years. I am Australian and native english speaker. I have a Bachelor of education (biology and ICT) from victoria university and currently completing a post grad diploma in TESOL also at victoria university (may continue on to do masters if I can get accepted). I haven't had a full time job teaching yet, but I have been doing casual relief teaching(CRT) for just over a year.
    Should I encounter any problems applying to the edb nets scheme? Or should my qualifications be sufficient. Is there anything else I need? Someone told me I should complete a CELTA and that my post grad diploma in TESOL is useless outside of Australia, which has me worried now.

Thanks

Last edited by mattybaker; 19-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattybaker:
    Im planning to move to hong kong to teach english sometime in the next 2-3 years. I am Australian and native english speaker. I have a Bachelor of education (biology and ICT) from victoria university and currently completing a post grad diploma in TESOL also at victoria university (may continue on to do masters if I can get accepted). I haven't had a full time job teaching yet, but I have been doing casual relief teaching(CRT) for just over a year.
    Should I encounter any problems applying to the edb nets scheme? Or should my qualifications be sufficient. Is there anything else I need? Someone told me I should complete a CELTA and that my post grad diploma in TESOL is useless outside of Australia, which has me worried now.

Thanks
    My understanding is that your Post Grad. Dip. TESOL trumps CELTA/TESOL so you would meet the minimum requirements for the EDB NET scheme.

Personally, I would contact the EDB as you'll get better information...Contacts